Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue prices

jetstream

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graham,I think it is minimum advertized price,some companies make you sign a contract to keep everyones pricing the same or more,this may have been the case with Televue.This should benefit TV and us as consumers,,,,providing vendors co-operate.I think SCS Astro has some good prices.

Graham,I think it is minimum advertized price,some companies make you sign a contract to keep everyones pricing the same or more,this may have been the case with Televue.This should benefit TV and us as consumers,,,,providing vendors co-operate.I think SCS Astro has some good prices.

I believe that practice is actually illegal under competition law. Agreeing, fixing or dictating sale pricing is not allowed as I understand it.

Stu

Thanks Gerry.

I spoke to a UK dealer recently about TeleVue pricing and the response was pretty much, "TeleVue have drastically lowered their pricing and so it's pretty much up to us as dealers what we want to charge"

So feel free to have a good old haggle, I did and got a bit off (just shy of 10%)

I believe that practice is actually illegal under competition law. Agreeing, fixing or dictating sale pricing is not allowed as I understand it.

Stu

Hi Stu,ya it probably is......but have you ever noticed some brands(not necessarily astro stuff) all have the same listed price?Over here it is common-not really sure why,I have found it on othere higher end optics though.

Thanks Gerry.

I spoke to a UK dealer recently about TeleVue pricing and the response was pretty much, "TeleVue have drastically lowered their pricing and so it's pretty much up to us as dealers what we want to charge"

So feel free to have a good old haggle, I did and got a bit off (just shy of 10%)

Great!I wonder if it was always this way?And we didn't try :undecided:

The 26mm Nagler is highly reduced at Telescope House when compared to The Widescreen Centre, I am almost tempted to hit the

" go to checkout " button :smiley:

However I am in 2 minds now whether to sell the 34mm maxi and just get the big 31mm Nagler instead.

Does anybody have experience of the 31mm ?

I think it is more that the manufacturers sell price into resellers/retailers is at a certain level and they then maintain similar margins when selling to customers. Nothing wrong with that, the thing that is illegal is manufacturers telling retailers what price to sell at, or those retailers agreeing amongst themselves.

The irony now is that the supposed low cost stores like Amazon actually demand pretty hefty terms from manufacturers so they are making very nice margins!

Stu

...Does anybody have experience of the 31mm ?...

Yep - I've owned a 31mm Nagler for a few years now. What can I say ? - great eyepiece, superb views, very heavy.

Eye positioning takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered it's a real porthole into space.

Michael Wilkinson uses one with an SCT and seems to be very impressed with it. Some folks do prefer the lighter weight of the 26mm though.

Yep - I've owned a 31mm Nagler for a few years now. What can I say ? - great eyepiece, superb views, very heavy.

Eye positioning takes a bit of getting used to but once mastered it's a real porthole into space.

Michael Wilkinson uses one with an SCT and seems to be very impressed with it. Some folks do prefer the lighter weight of the 26mm though.

Yes its a whole 1kg on the plus side it has 19mm eye relief and will give me 1.08 deg TFOV

More to ponder about :smiley: I wonder how the 3.1 exit pupil will work out with me

Lovely eyepiece, sure you wouldn't regret buying one. I use mine mainly in a refractor for the wonderful widefield views it gives. I used to have a 41mm Panoptic which does give a wider view but prefer the smaller exit pupil of the 31.

It can be a pain balancing the scope if changing from the Nagler to an Ortho for example but its not impossible to manage. I've seen some inventive systems with sliding weights on dobs to maintain the balance, not sure if this is worth considering?

Stu

31T5 or the "Terminagler" as it's known.

I've been considering getting the what I think of as the "gem" TV eyepiece set; 3-6 zoom, 10mm Delos, 13mm Ethos, 24mm Panoptic and 31mm Nagler

However the 31mm Nagler would produce a whopping 6mm+ exit pupil which just wouldn't work for me. I;m seriously considering a 21mm Ethos instead though as I think it shows about the same amount of sky and would have a much smaller exit pupil.

Lovely eyepiece, sure you wouldn't regret buying one. I use mine mainly in a refractor for the wonderful widefield views it gives. I used to have a 41mm Panoptic which does give a wider view but prefer the smaller exit pupil of the 31.

It can be a pain balancing the scope if changing from the Nagler to an Ortho for example but its not impossible to manage. I've seen some inventive systems with sliding weights on dobs to maintain the balance, not sure if this is worth considering?

Stu

I think I will go for this and not bother with any in the 20mm range :laugh:

I've been considering getting the what I think of as the "gem" TV eyepiece set; 3-6 zoom, 10mm Delos, 13mm Ethos, 24mm Panoptic and 31mm Nagler

However the 31mm Nagler would produce a whopping 6mm+ exit pupil which just wouldn't work for me. I;m seriously considering a 21mm Ethos instead though as I think it shows about the same amount of sky and would have a much smaller exit pupil.

LOL@ Terminagler :smiley:

6mm is a bit steep however 3.1 for me so not so bad

Somehow I have all those eps and they are fabulous. I do think it is worth considering the 21mm though as the exit pupil would be more suitable. I did think about selling the 31 when I got the 21 but it does still serve a valid purpose, giving a rather lovely 3.68 degree fov in my frac.

Stu

I just don't know what happened in the last year. I swear this time last year I had a handful of BST Starguider eyepieces and I was umming and arring each day about whether I should spend another £50 on another one, or at a push £100 on 2 more (I had the 5mm, 18mm and 25mm at the time)..

Now I am seriously considering spending £575 on a 21mm Ethos. It's a bit mad really.

I mean the 13mm is a done deal, I'm going to flog all my low end ES up to and including the 11mm, probably the 14mm as well considering its a 13mm Im buying. Those alone should cover the new cost of a 13E. I'd probably have enough change to get a 24mm Pan as well.. Just don't know where to stop :(

I mean I want an Ethos in my box and I think the 13E is a good fit. It's coming at the expense of not getting a 12, 14 and possibly 17.3mm Delos. Obviously not worth getting a 12, 14 Delos with a 13E in the box.

I guess I could just not get a 24mm pan and save for a bit and get the Ethos. Putting £100-£150 away a month doesn't hurt at all and before you know it you have enough.

Somehow I have all those eps and they are fabulous. I do think it is worth considering the 21mm though as the exit pupil would be more suitable. I did think about selling the 31 when I got the 21 but it does still serve a valid purpose, giving a rather lovely 3.68 degree fov in my frac.

Stu

I agree Stu and I think you should sell the 31mm to me, you clearly do not need both, its known as greed :grin:

Archived