Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue prices

jetstream

I can now say this to a certainty-under very good skies,dark conditions,there is a difference using Televue,without a doubt.The other night my Nagler got me this object,which was very faint,must be near the limit of my scope-NGC6946.Without the Nagler-no go.I will buy a 10mm Delos now and possibly a 22 or 26mm Nagler down the road,on advice from SGL members.Televue has another great marketing strategy going,& it is benefitting us all.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have all but ordered it now :laugh:

If the Widescreen Centre can beat Telescope House I will buy it from them, I would imagine they will e-mail me back tomorrow :smiley:

You are going to have another excellent eyepiece there Shaun,congratulations and after all-you only live once!!

I mean I want an Ethos in my box and I think the 13E is a good fit. It's coming at the expense of not getting a 12, 14 and possibly 17.3mm Delos. Obviously not worth getting a 12, 14 Delos with a 13E in the box.

If there's one Ethos to go in the box the 13mm is the one to get Graham. I have just recently reacquired one (sold my first one to fund another project) and this one will never be sold! To be honest, having compared the 14 Delos with the 13 Ethos, for me, its no contest. In an optical sense they are pretty evenly matched, but in a putting a smile on your face every time you look through it sense, the Ethos delivers the ultimate smackdown!

Cheers Damo. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon :)

I had a good long think about the Ethos 21 last night and I finally struck upon an idea and it satisfied me that it was a good enough argument to warrant getting one. First off it's an amazing EP, it'll show great wide views in my main scope and over 1 degree of sky (1.3 i believe), with a good exit pupil. This I already knew but it struck me that if I was an imager then the money I'm spending would be expected, not a luxury and I am fortunate that I have not been bitten that way.

Even with the Ethos 21mm my entire eyepiece case will have a new price of less than 2 grand and my scope is just over a grand at 1200. That's around 3 grand all in... probably about what an invested imager spends to get a decent way into their version of the hobby and mine is near the top end of my version of it.

I'm sure if I was an imager I'd be thinking closer to 10 grand over many more years with lot of that money lost in selling and upgrading.

I know some people don't get on with the Ethos so I'll get the 13mm and decide. If I don't get on with the hyper wide view as well as I'd like then I'll put a 24mm Pan or a Nagler of some kind in that spot. Personally I found that at higher magnifications I didn't like even 82 degrees but at low magnifications I loved it. Which is odd considering you need to nudge dobs more at high mag and having a smaller AFOV doesn't make sense, but there it is! not everything can be easily explained, it's just personal preference I guess.

the funny thing is I'm not actually displeased with the performance of the Meade 24mm UWA. I just don't think it'll look right in my case next to all the other eyepieces once I sell off the ES.

I've now settled once and for all on a 3 ep main set, the 21, 13 & 8mm Ethos. I kept the 10mm XW as it sits nicely between the 13/8 Ethos at 150x/2mm exit pupil. All that aside, I couldn't bring myself to part with it, it's another one of those "special" ep's that should never be sold.

My new set will consist of 5 eyepieces and work well across 2 scopes of quite different focal lengths

It'll be

• 3-6 zoom (a toy in main scope, 250x -125x in grab and go - my main/only eyepiece for lunar/planets)
  • 8 Delos (206x main scope 1.7mm e/p 0.34°, 93x g&g 1.6mm exit pupil 0.8° )
  • 10 Delos (165x main scope 2mm e/p 0.43°, 75x g&g 2mm e/p 1.0°)
  • 13 Ethos (125x main scope, 2.8mm e/p 0.6°, 57x g&g 2.6mm e/p 1.75°)
  • 21 Ethos (78x main scope, 4.5mm e/p 1.3°, 35x g&g 4.2mm e/p 2.8°)

I think across both scopes I will have everything pretty well covered.

I found having too many eyepieces close together meant you were always thinking you should switch out so I am going for bigger gaps between them deliberatly and sticking for absolutely premium quality. The zoom allowed me to not have to buy many shorter focal lengths to make my grab and go viable for planets, its such a wonderful design. I love it.

Using the above stats alone I can guess that the 21 Ethos will show a similar amount of sky as the 10mm Delos in my grab and go but only much brighter due to the aperture and spread over a much larger field of view. I know that 10mm Delos in this scope is very pleasing so I'd expect a 21mm Ethos in my main scope to be a real dream on DSO.

Very happy to have given your 5 & 7 XWs a new home Damo :-). Looking forward to giving them a try out soon.

Stu

It was comparable to rehoming a puppy Stu, heart wrenching but relieved at the same time they went to a good home! Hope you enjoy them mate.

PS. Anyone know where to find the smilies on a Galaxy S 4?

My new set will consist of 5 eyepieces and work well across 2 scopes of quite different focal lengths

It'll be

• 3-6 zoom (a toy in main scope, 250x -125x in grab and go - my main/only eyepiece for lunar/planets)

I found having too many eyepieces close together meant you were always thinking you should switch out so I am going for bigger gaps between them deliberatly and sticking for absolutely premium quality. The zoom allowed me to not have to buy many shorter focal lengths to make my grab and go viable for planets, its such a wonderful design. I love it.

Using the above stats alone I can guess that the 21 Ethos will show a similar amount of sky as the 10mm Delos in my grab and go but only much brighter due to the aperture and spread over a much larger field of view. I know that 10mm Delos in this scope is very pleasing so I'd expect a 21mm Ethos in my main scope to be a real dream on DSO.

That will indeed be a fabulous line up Graham with all angles covered.

I just don't know what happened in the last year. I swear this time last year I had a handful of BST Starguider eyepieces and I was umming and arring each day about whether I should spend another £50 on another one, or at a push £100 on 2 more (I had the 5mm, 18mm and 25mm at the time)..

Now I am seriously considering spending £575 on a 21mm Ethos. It's a bit mad really.

That's what this hobby is about ;). Last year when I started I was unsure about spending ~£90 on my first scope, after 16 months I'm ~£3.5k poorer ;).

Don't worry about it, as long as you enjoy it and you aren't depriving yourself or family of anything you need the money really shouldn't be an issue :)

It'll be

I think thats a superb set Graham and one that will last a lifetime I would think :smiley:

You can then relax, forget about eyepieces, and just get on with using your scopes with the confidence that your eye will see the best that the scope and conditions can deliver :smiley:

I think thats a superb set Graham and one that will last a lifetime I would think :smiley:

You can then relax, forget about eyepieces, and just get on with using your scopes with the confidence that your eye will see the best that the scope and conditions can deliver :smiley:

Until someone shows me a paracorr 2 ;)

I probably need to upgrade the focuser to a Moonlite CR2 at some point too. Can't justify spending that £250 when I could upgrade my glass first!

then, it should just about end.... :)

It was comparable to rehoming a puppy Stu, heart wrenching but relieved at the same time they went to a good home! Hope you enjoy them mate.

PS. Anyone know where to find the smilies on a Galaxy S 4?

Funny :-)

After just selling my 22t4 I know that feeling!!!

Stu

then, it should just about end.... :)

Ha! Sometimes I'm not sure if its astronomy fever or kit fever. If we all chase that last few degrees of 'better' viewing, we're all in trouble. "We're doomed, Captain Mannering!!"

Ha! Sometimes I'm not sure if its astronomy fever or kit fever. If we all chase that last few degrees of 'better' viewing, we're all in trouble. "We're doomed, Captain Mannering!!"

But thats exactly what we do !

As you get more experienced in the hobby you seek out more and more challenging targets. It's when you are pushing the limits of scope / conditions / observer that the subtle differences of the best quality eyepieces show themselves. Once you have seen that difference, even if it is subtle and slight, it's mighty hard to convince yourself that you don't want more of it :undecided:

Of course there is another layer of eyepieces that take optical performance a touch further even than Tele Vue and Pentax XW's do. I'm talking about the likes of the Zeiss ZAO's, TMB Supermonocentrics, Pentax XO's Takahashi Ultra Wide and Nikon Nav HW's. Some of these are pushing £1K apiece but they do raise that performance bar just that little bit more ..... :rolleyes2:

Archived