Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro equipment suppliers

gary1968

Is it just me or do you all have trouble with all astro equipment suppliers?? :icon_jokercolor:

I ahev ordered some items recently and my wife has also ordered items recently for my christmas but it looks like they wont be here on time, all items were ordered in November, only a few have come so far. My good lady wife cant call to chase up as she doesnt know what she has ordered really as she was given a wish list from me.... if she is offered an alternative she cant decide whether or not it'll be OK.

I dont want to name and shame the companies here and now but suffice to say that out of all the suppliers I have had dealings with the only companies that I'd recomend now are ..................

D. Hinds......... Good reliable internet service

SCS Astro...... Good reliable phone service

Viking Optical.. Good shop service

All the others I have used have not delivered as I would have expected. Why is it that all the web sites that I have used, bar Hinds, are happy to take your order and not inform about whether or not the item is in stock. Some even take payment knowing that the goods wont be delivered for a while as they are not in stock.......aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh

I am now at the point where if I cant get an item from Hinds, SCS or from my local Viking store then I'll do without.

Yours, now officially miffed.......

Gary

I do not understand why your wife cannot call - at the very least she would know what was going on. At best she could be told that it is on it's way, at worst she could be told that there is a delay and the ETA is ...

If there is an issue with supply on something it may not be the retailers fault - if an alternative is offered then a quick question about the returns policy if it's wrong could be quite reassuring (especially as it's a crimbo presie, and we all like things to open)

Communication is a two way thing - if I do not hear from a company that I've ordered something from I phone them.

Remember that some companies you haven't mentioned i.e. smaller comapanies like First Light Optics, Modern Astonomy and Ian King Imaging are small companies often with only one or two staff. They are only human and can/do forget thngs.

You have it within your power to find the answer, for the cost of a two minute phone call. At least then you would know.

Ant

The David Hinds website is exceptional because it doesn't just tell you if the item's in stock, it tells you how many they've got. Opticstar is another good one - it gives you delivery times. There are certain dealers who advertise stuff, take the money off your credit card and tell you they expect the goods to be available in six weeks or so. If the site doesn't say it's in stock I always ask before parting with cash - Hugh.

D. Hinds......... Good reliable internet service

DHinds (aka Adam) is also the UK importer distributor to the trade of Celestron and Baader products. And they do a fine job. Particularly Nicki who calmly and efficiently delivers the goods and answers enquiries with the minimum of fuss :thumbright:

I have to admit to being slightly different to some in this.

If I order something from an online company - I want them to take the money straight away (even if they haven't got it in stock). I order stuff when I have the money, if a company takes the order and I forget that they haven't taken the money, it's a major problem for me.

Ant

My main point was that the goods were all ordered in November. I understand that this is indeed a busy time for astronomy and equipment retailers but I would have thought that a month would have been enough time to ordering things.

I'm not sure how web sites are built and am not sure how difficult it would be have, like Hinds, a stock indicator on the web site, but, if that was a difficult thing to do then surely an e-mail to the custormer advising that the goods are going to be delayed by 'X' time would be courtious. At least then if the goods were ordered for a specific occasion then they might be able to be sourced elsewhere.

I dont want to be billed for goods until they are ready for dispatch as I alway use a credit card and funds will always be available and at least if I have to attempt to get my money back then I will have some backing.

As mentioned I have had dealings with a fair few suppliers but nowhere near them all so I only speak from experiance, but one that I currently have an order with is Skyview Optics, I have no idea when the item ordered, an AE 4x Imagemate, will be here as I have mailed them 3 times now over the last few days and had no reply, I guess I'll phone them tomorow.

One of the other suppliers, (FLO) has seen this thread and a PM I sent them and has appologised for the confusion now and is sending the item by special delivery so hopefully that is that one cleared up, cheers Steve........... :thumbright:

Anyway, I just felt like a mump about all this, and that, as they say, is that........

Gary

I didn't think the 4x imagemate was gettable anymore :?

It isn't.

Steve, what would be a good alternative high power barlow / image amplifier then? And do you have one in stock as I had ordered that myself to allow Mars imaging? My scope is a C8N..............

Gary

When FLO's website was setup I did enquire into computerised stock-control systems such as EPOS which keeps a database of stock and use the information to show availability. Unfortunately it was very expensive and beyond our means at the time so we went for the 'normal' method where cards are charged at the time of order. FLO will be getting a shiny new website around Spring/Summer so I will look into it again then.

Interestingly, I occasionally notice that something has been ordered that I know will take some time to source and have contacted the customer to offer a refund and to retake payment on dispatch. In fifteen months, only four have accepted, all the others ask that we retain payment.

I know some sites take card details and store them until dispatch, then manually enter details into an online VPS terminal. This system would make me distinctly nervous. FLO's site does not retain 'any' card details. It can be a nuisance as customer sometimes say "just put it on my card" and I have to remind them that we don't have card details. But, all things considered, I prefer it this way.

Steve, what would be a good alternative high power barlow / image amplifier then? And do you have one in stock as I had ordered that myself to allow Mars imaging? My scope is a C8N..............

I'll have a rummage and see if I can't uncover a 4x imagemate. (I might have retained one when I heard they were discontinued).

I know some sites take card details and store them until dispatch, then manually enter details into an online VPS terminal. This system would make me distinctly nervous. FLO's site does not retain 'any' card details. It can be a nuisance as customer sometimes say "just put it on my card" and I have to remind them that we don't have card details. But, all things considered, I prefer it this way.

mmmmm, didn't think of the security aspect. I suppose there are pro's and con's for this.

I'll have a rummage and see if I can't uncover a 4x imagemate. (I might have retained one when I heard they were discontinued).

Thanks for that..... :rolleyes:

Gary

Hi Gary,

There's a 5x out now; http://www.astro-engineering.com/ 4th item down in their new product list - described as;

"The Supreme 5x photovisual Barlow"

"Adding extra power to our Supreme Barlow range, the AC685 delivers a 5x power increase with the Supreme advantages of a built-in T-thread hidden under the ultra sleek locking collar."

It's a bit steep at £99.99, I picked up my (new and boxed) 4x Imagemate for £45. You may as well find someone who's going over to the states and ask them to pick you up a 5x Powermate for that kind of money :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ian

I always check by phone if I have any doubt about an item being in stock. I have ordered a lot of stuff in the last year ( dare not quote the total amount in case I have a heart attack :rolleyes: )

All these firms gave accurate stock figures and delivered quickly , often the next day !!

First Light Optics

Modern Astronomy

David Hinds

Ian King

Telescope House

OpticStar

Venture Scope

Astronomiser

Green Witch

John

I have read (and understood) peoples frustrations with having to wait for astro kit getting delivered on time.

I also agree that a phone call to the supplier involved in the hold up would be in order to help things along.

The bit i am not happy with is using SGL's boards to give named or un named suppliers a wake up call, That is not what SGL is here for.

In future if anyone has a gripe with any dealer because they have been waiting on goods "paid for or not" can i suggest you take it up with them BEFORE you go posting any kind of complaint on the open forum.

Thank you.

I didn't think the 4x imagemate was gettable anymore :?

bern

PS Useful point Ant, I've heard much the same from a few others though I think the majority take the opposite view.

I agree with Ant, when I place an order it means I know have the money in the account I used to pay for the order. It's a real pain to have to keep track of the order status and the money in the account daily until the money comes out. I rather pay at the time I place the order and then be able to forget about it until the order arrives or the dealer contacts me to say he can't get the item anymore and offers and alternative or a refund.

Amazon are a real pain for taking money out of my account weeks after I've placed a book order.....

• 1 year later...

I have to disagree with most of the posts here, although I do respect your preferences & opinions.

I just about find it OK to take payment in full at time of order for goods that you know can be dispatched 'fairly soon'; but if you know somethings going to take months (which is the norm these days with most of my recent purchases) then taking payment up-front in these cases I think is shameful. I've found that some retailers (*not* FLO I might add), once they have your money then they have no interest in making sure you get it ASAP, e.g. they never chase up from their suppliers etc.

I've recently been made very angry by one very popular astronomy shop which says on their T&Cs "we do not take payment until the item is ready for dispatch", but when I ordered they actually took payment in full immediately, and two weeks later the item is still on back-order and not even in the country yet. That's even worse, breach of contract if you ask me.

Anyway, best stick with who you know and are comfortable with.

Chris

One way around this is when purchasing a specific item, find out which retailers that are selling them. Email them all asking if they have got that item in stock and wait for the replies. Last time I wanted a specific eyepiece and did this. About six retailers advertised selling this eyepiece. Three did not reply, two said they were out of stock and one did have it. So I ordered and reveived it a couple of days.

I must say that I grumbled about the same thing late last year,and nearly left the forum because of it. Boy, did I get some grief. I just stick to specific suppliers now who I can trust. Thank you for sorting my recent order Steve/James;)

It only takes me once to learn a lesson :)

Glen.

Archived