Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

heq5 mount help and advice

brrttpaul

Hi guys, I do quite a bit of photography and just started astro photograhy. ( I did put a similar post up a few months back long story so wont boar you). Anyway on my list is the HEQ5 mount or the vixen polarie or the ioptron skytracker. And I just cant make my mind up which to get. With the astrotrack I get the manfrotto tripod and head all for £767 which would be handy for me having that tripod head setup for landscape etc. The vixen polarie seems to edge it on reviews though so thats open for debate and I would like your feedback. As for the heq5 mount they are on amazon for £800 but seen one will put the link up for £500 the only difference I can see is this ones black or am I missing something?. Help and advice needed here thanks

heres the link

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Mounts-Skywatcher.asp?p=0_10_2_0_11

If it is £800 I would expect it to have the full goto package, the Opticstar one is RA/Dec motors only.

The HEQ5 is the more common one so likely more support and bits for it - good guide by Astro-Baby concerning setting one up better but you would be advised to wait until the warrenty expires before attacking it.

Think that black may be an earlier production run, they changed from black to white. Colour is immaterial everything else is the same but some would "prefer" the new colour.

For imaging at the serious aspect I would stick with an equitorial mount, the ioptron skytracker looks nice but unsure of the overall accuracy. One of those things I would be a little unsure of, also you could later step up to guiding with an equitorial cannot do that with the skytracker.

Don't know the Vixen.

Find out if the £800 HEQ5 includes Synscan goto compared to the £500 option.

The Syntrek HEQ5 should be around £635 and the goto synscan £760 (Both prices from FLO - usual disclaimer). The black HEQ5 is the old version (about 3-4 years old?) but, as far as I know, only the colour is different. There is a "basic" HEQ5 at £525 - but be aware that this version does not have hte same motors or controller and costs £330 to upgrade to goto (making it £855 - £95 more in total than buying the goto in the first place!).

I use an HEQ5 and control it (to full goto) with EQMOD. For this you need a laptop and adapter cable - if you already have the laptop then this is a good route to go as EQMOD gives you far more functionality than the goto controller and EQMOD is free!

I can't comment on the other two as I don't have any experience of them.

The HEQ5 is a good mount for the price, especially if you can get a good one second hand. In my experience it punches well above it's weight for AP and will give you some good results.

As said above, make sure you get the one with all the right motors and you'll be well on your way.

thanks very much guys didnt expect so many responses so early, yes you right after re looking at the black one and the white one the black one is basic and no goto the white one comes in at £759 and is the HEQ5PRO. I have a laptop but a very old dell one thats not much use as it has to be plugged in all the time (may buy a battery for it depends if its worth it its 7 yr old lol). As it happens £759 is right on my limit so think I,ll go for that one because no doubt I,ll want a telescope in the future which wouldnt be able to go on a manfrotto. Just going to look awfull strange having such a big mount with just a DSLR on it lol. Thanks once again great help.

Thx Roger, I will be getting the HEQ5 synscan mount and go from there. What happened last time I bought a manfrotto tripod, gimbal head, celestron spotting scope, (all for birding) also there were some other bits and had the lot stolen from my car, this was back in June and now the police have caught the culprit I can get compensation so this time its going to go to the mount.

HEQ5 is a really common mount that you will easily find all sort of info/help aoround it anywhere! For th emoney i think its the best choice... if you can get your hands on a second hand for cheaper its an even better deal. Like mentionned the black one is the older model...

+1 for the HEQ5 - a magnificent mount. I loved mine and slightly regret selling it, I envy Marc who I sold it to! :) I don't really need the extra capacity of the NEQ6 - great mount too - which is MUCH heavier and bulkier. I supose if my plans change I have more options with the NEQ6.

Archived