Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart and Soul Ha Mosaic

SteveL

Been after the other "half" of this for a while now (Had a few self generated problems that havent helped much :? :shock: )

OTA: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + 0.8 FR/FF

Guiding: NS8GPS @ f/10 + DSI-C + PHD

Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 2 images, each being made up of 10 x 900s taken 17 days apart, Astronomik Ha 13nm

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: MaximDL + ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

(Click on the image for the larger version)

ic1805_ha_mosaic_20071216_small.jpg

That's a stunning image Steve. The detail is very smooth.

You are a great salesman for the QHY8 I must say! Now I have the SXV lodestar guider I can guide non SXV cameras and still use my AO unit. A colour chip would do away with the need for filter wheels which are tricky with AO. You've demonstrated how well Ha will work of realistic exposure times. Hmmmm :icon_jokercolor:

The process for this (and my other Ha stuff) tends to be stack with 2xdrizzle, mostly because I have that strange problem where individual subs are OK, but i get movement between subs... so the drizzle works really well on these. Then after that, depending on how much signal to noise there is, I either work on the stacked image, or 2xbin the stacked image in ImagesPlus and work on that.

For this (my first mosaic), I took both images into Maxim placed them down in the Mosaic tool, snapped them into place, saved it out and went to work on that.

I also have RGB for one half of this, but will have to wait a while for the moon to go away before I can get the other half, and then blend the Ha mosaic into the RGB mosaic.... now THAT should be something worth looking at :icon_jokercolor:

Steve,

This is a nice image. I have recently purchased the QHY8 myself and am just getting used to using it. I hope that, given time, I will be able to crank out images of this calibre. You should be very happy with this.

Out of interest, what gain and offset settings do you find work best? I am experimenting, but would appreciate any advice you might me able to offer given your greater experience with the QHY8.

Keep images coming!

Regards,

Dave

Steve,

Thanks. You have confirmed my suspicion that the images I posted suffer from a too much gain (I was way up at 80%) and I was clipping. I am using the QHY drivers at present.

You have certainly managed to get some nice images out of your QHY8 which certainly encourages me. I hope that my images get to your standard sometime!

Cheers,

Dave

Archived