Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starting out and feeling very lost.

RK75

I always struggled with star maps in books etc, but have found Stellarium fantastic. If you can take it out with you on a laptop, I have found that the scale of everything seems to fit what you can see and more importantly so does the orientation. I found by looking at the screen I would find myself saying things like "Right I can see Cassiopeia, down and to the left should be a long arc of stars with 2 things coming off that look like legs and feet, that is Perseus." When I looked up, there it was.

Hopping from one constellation to the other is the best way I have found to find my way about. Some are harder to see that others, due to the faintness of the stars. I find that at times it is difficult to pick out Ursa Minor (which has the north star on its tail). Cancer is another very dim one. If you can't see it, move on to another one and try again another night. Cassiopeia is an easy one to spot. Pegasus seems quite good at the moment. When we move into winter, I always find Orion, Gemini, and Leo very easy to find.

As for looking through a telescope, does anyone know of an app or website that will list interesting things to look at each night? Some of the books are excellent, but I find at times I have done no preparation, notice it is a clear night and just want to get outside to look at stuff. Is there an easy way to say "Show me what is good to look at, right now, with a small scope"? Usually I do not have the luxury of waiting until 4am to see a cluster rise and tend to be out for an hour maximum.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one learns the night sky literally overnight. It does take quite a few times to learn your way around. Honestly, if you learn to spot a single constellation every season you will be doing well. We are now into Autumn and the most famous one is Orion. Its still rising a bit late but it will be rising earlier as the weeks go by. Once you can identify it, you can then navigate the rest of the sky using it as your start point.

Dont get disheartened, you are just starting out like we all did. Before long the night sky will became as familiar as the back of your hand and constellations will stand out brightly against the rest of the stars. You will wonder what you ever worried about.

As for looking through a telescope, does anyone know of an app or website that will list interesting things to look at each night? Some of the books are excellent, but I find at times I have done no preparation, notice it is a clear night and just want to get outside to look at stuff. Is there an easy way to say "Show me what is good to look at, right now, with a small scope"? Usually I do not have the luxury of waiting until 4am to see a cluster rise and tend to be out for an hour maximum.

Sorry, hit post button before actually writing anything...

This is one of the strengths of Turn Left at Orion in my opinion. You can look up the season and then pick two or three objects that suit what's visible / what equipment you have and follow the instructions to find them. Ideal!

In terms of online resources, there is always Sky & Telescope's weekly glance.

Astronomy is a marathon not a sprint. Just try to learn one thing per session. Even a little thing. Remember that thing. Soak it in. Im still a huge fan of Sky Safari Pro and its Red light ability. In addition the Ipad brightness can be turned down which is a great asset outside. Standing there with the Ipad at arms length perusing the sky makes the sky seem to come alive for me.......

It's surprising what you do take in from just a few sessions.

By the time you've star hopped round a few of the richer constellations with the bins you start to build a mental map.

I remember trying to find M31 for the first time naked eye. I had books galore and eventually located the Square of Pegasus then Andromeda then identified Mirach then mu and v Andromedae and then a faint smudge.

The next time I found it was much quicker. Time then to find a new target.

And so it goes :)

It's surprising what you do take in from just a few sessions.

By the time you've star hopped round a few of the richer constellations with the bins you start to build a mental map.

It really is amazing just how much the brain soaks up in a short time. I find observing a bit like learning poetry in school. The more times you read the same lines over and over..........they do start to stick in your mind.

I started about a year ago, and have loved learning the night sky. Its been my favourite thing about the hobby really, watching the constellations change through the year!

Anyway, my advice is to buy Philip's "Guide to the Night Sky" by Patrick Moore. Its small, concise and cheap. Its purpose is to teach you to find your way around. You will also need a red light so you can read outside.

For now I suggest you don't use app or binoculars. Having a phone will ruin your night vision, and binoculars are great for studying objects within constellations, but are no good for seeing the constellations themselves. A red light and a very simple chart showing only main constellations is all you need :)

I can suggest a couple of things.

Find your local astro society and join up. Make sure you go out with them for a few observing sessions whenever the sky is clear. You'll be amazed at how much you pick up when observing in a group. If you can't find a group in your area then try this group: http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/ just on the border with Yorkshire. They're a great bunch and will give you a sound intro to the night sky.

Grab a copy of Sky at Night magazine each month and read the night sky guide in the center pages. They discuss what's currently "up" and how to find various objects. You also get a guide as to which equipment is capable of seeing what object. Constellations act as pointers to where to look for objects. Only learn to recognise them one at a time till you can step out and spot each one instantly. You'll also pick up how they move across the sky - that's important in helping you know where to look each month.

Do learn how to spot the pole star - everything revolves round it. Use the Cas and Umaj method - there's plenty of guides for that if you google "finding the pole star". Also find out where the ecliptic is - you'll see planets along that line - currently Jupiter is up in the early hours and I'd suggest making that a target soon. Ensuring you know the cardinal points is also good for your sky orientation on any night - standing the right way round consistently keeps the view familiar and you can add new objects to it every time you're out. Each time I go out I find the pole star in the north then turn directly south facing the ecliptic - stuff that's rising comes up to the east (on the left), and it's fun to spot constellations and objects as they come up and track them across the sky.

As the others say - you need to walk before you can run - there's millions of stuff up there and it ain't going anywhere in our lifetime so you don't need to rush. Have a plan to spot one or two things each night and don't give up - your knowledge will soon grow and you'll get a lot of fun and satisfaction from the hobby. Hth :)

Make yourself comfortable.

When you are relaxed on a recliner or garden chair, that's when you will clearly absorb your surroundings. The big W, Cassiopeia will pop out, just like on the planisphere. Others will follow.

Consider it as an 'outdoor sofa', only tonnes better than watching T.V

Personally, I always use an observers chair.

Archived