NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eq8 unboxing video

Bubbles82

As the title says recent uploaded by lucky new owner of the eq8 on YouTube showing mount and tripod assembly in good detail over 5-6 videos for those liking the look of the mount or who are waiting for there's to arrive and need a fix :)

Sorry boys and girls tried to post the link but it wouldn't play ball. Was a bit of a rough set of videos but still glad he made the effort and gives a good idea of size and construction , was also confused that he had made the effort to build a obsy then made the control / computer setup awkwardly out of the way. I understand that it's technically a warm room but my preference would be to be able to see the mount from my warm room or at least be much closer incase something goes wrong but I guess it's just personal preference. That said after seeing this video I'm more and more tempted buy this new mount but even if I could scrape the money together I would be very wary of getting one so soon after its release :)

I love the case that the mount head comes in, but realistically is it ever going to get any use other than for delivery? Surely nearly all of these are going to end up permanently installed, if only because they're so heavy and will take some time to set up?

The idea of powering it from a cigarette lighter adaptor amuses me too.

Really like the adjustable feet for the tripod though. They look very hefty and well up to the job.

James

I love the case that the mount head comes in, but realistically is it ever going to get any use other than for delivery?

You would have thought that if they went to that much trouble, they could have also supplied a couple of greasy haired roadies to go with it. :smile:

I'm not sure the case comes as part of the package or just as a plus at a price?!! Well, considering the mount price...it probably comes as part of the whole set-up...Sky-watcher are in the generous mood apparently. :)

According to the description here it does look like it's part of the deal:

http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/EQ-Mounts/SkyWatcher-EQ8/1445/productview.aspx

James

Good question (depends if you see it this way), I'm not quite sure apart for the significant payload and new improved design, what does it actually give you if you're not to use a C11 or C14 or don't have an observatory?

In my eyes - the outrageous temptation aside - I don't see myself investing in it unless I have built my own observatory, owned a C14 and become a professional astro-photographer.

Side note -- man, this mount looks scrumptious!!! :D

Good question (depends if you see it this way), I'm not quite sure apart for the significant payload and new improved design, what does it actually give you if you're not to use a C11 or C14 or don't have an observatory?

In my eyes - the outrageous temptation aside - I don't see myself investing in it unless I have built my own observatory, owned a C14 and become a professional astro-photographer.

If you want portability then the Mesu surely looks like a better bet? I struggle to persuade myself that people are going to buy the EQ8 for non-permanent observing sites. It does make for interesting options if you fancy a dual for triple imaging rig though. That might look expensive for a hobby, but it's still cheaper than the three motorcycles I own, for example.

James

what does it actually give you

I would list the positives (based on early reports) as:

Carrying capacity - way more than the EQ6 and getting on for the capacity of the £5K+ mounts

Accuracy- Very low PEC

Works with EQMOD- Familiar to users of EQ6 mounts

Build quality.

I'm not quite sure apart for the significant payload and new improved design, what does it actually give you if you're not to use a C11 or C14 or don't have an observatory?

If you ignore the significant advantages over its smaller brethren, then it doesn't give you anything extra (or at least, very little). Its a bit like saying "If I ignore the fact that a truck can carry 10 tonnes, then what is the advantage of buying a truck over a car?". The answer is none, until you want to carry 10 tonnes.

Archived