NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What a heartless soul...

ollypenrice

Groan.

Or worse, another Sun headline, 'Going Soulo...'

OK, inspired by Sara's magical Ha Heart and Soul, and thrilled by her Soul details, I set out to prove that the Soul Nebula is a Very Interesting Object in its own right but is overshadowed by the romantic Heart next door. Erm, well... I rather think I might have demonstrated the reverse! Try as I might I can't get the image to do anything very interesting and am going to stop here and lick my wounds...

Ha3Nm 8 Hrs. O111 (Baader) 6 Hrs. RGB and hour per channel. Not the best 17 hour result I ever got! Still, here we go;

SOUL%20HaO111RGB%2016HRS%20WEBCROP-XL.jpg

Bigger http://ollypenrice.s... WEBCROP-X3.jpg

Biggest http://ollypenrice.s...ZSvW9Q&lb=1&s=O

Some of the dark dust looks as if it has had too much noise reduction. It hasn't, in fact, had any at all.

Olly

Yes, I agree, it's very nice indeed. The amount of OIII and SII is very small. Even with one hour subs at f 4.8 they need 7 or 8 hours each.

These setups at working at 3.5 arcsecs per pixel which is bin2 or lower for many people so they are fast in NB but, yes, you need a fair bit. Interestingly the 0111 (12x30 minutes) was very smooth. The problem was in the need to mask the stars so carefully in the stretch because the 3Nm hardly lets any stars through at all while the O111 stars wanted to be big. They had to be held down and told to stop showing off!

Olly

I keep looking at this and coming back to it. I like it, I think that the nebula has been captured well and the smaller version here does nothing for it. In high res it looks great, it really sings.

Interesting about matching up the 8.5nm OIII and the 3nm Ha - Shows that there is no shortcuts in this game, financial ones included, and if you get the 3nm Ha, then at least you'll want the 5nm's.

I think there's more developing foetus than soul to my eye, or perhaps that's the point! Certainly nothing to criticise in that sharp, flat, deep and oh so wide expanse of sky - what a view!

One could suggest pimiping it a little in hubble palette, though this may be rather avante garde or contra your own sensibilities. Though perhaps worth a look at Terry Hancock's hubble version here - http://www.flickr.co...ock/8005126087/ - Not as deep or wide as your view, though he does draw out/highlight a lot of detail in the nebula.

I think there's more developing foetus than soul to my eye, or perhaps that's the point! Certainly nothing to criticise in that sharp, flat, deep and oh so wide expanse of sky - what a view!

One could suggest pimiping it a little in hubble palette, though this may be rather avante garde or contra your own sensibilities. Though perhaps worth a look at Terry Hancock's hubble version here - http://www.flickr.co...ock/8005126087/ - Not as deep or wide as your view, though he does draw out/highlight a lot of detail in the nebula.

That's a great Hubble image but I'm not an NB imager. I enhance broadband with narrowband but false colour just isn't my thing. I know that broadband will always soften up the details and increase the star sizes but I'm trying to catch nature rather than create graphic representations, which is how I see colour mapped images. What I had hoped for and didn't get, though, was the colour change seen in NB images towards the middle of the nebula. I'd expected to see more green-blue here but it didn't appear.

Olly

That's a great Hubble image but I'm not an NB imager. I enhance broadband with narrowband but false colour just isn't my thing. I know that broadband will always soften up the details and increase the star sizes but I'm trying to catch nature rather than create graphic representations, which is how I see colour mapped images. What I had hoped for and didn't get, though, was the colour change seen in NB images towards the middle of the nebula. I'd expected to see more green-blue here but it didn't appear.

Olly

Thanks Olly - it was a rather cheeky/tongue in cheek suggestion - though no offence intended. There's clearly far greater depth/resolution in your image, which on a second look I think I prefer as mono!

I'm using a 5nm Ha and 3nm OIII which match better. I think it was worth spending the extra money on the 3nm OIII as OIII is the worst for star bloat. I really think that if you have the 3nm Ha you really DO want the 3nm OIII.

I'm using a 5nm Ha and 3nm OIII which match better. I think it was worth spending the extra money on the 3nm OIII as OIII is the worst for star bloat. I really think that if you have the 3nm Ha you really DO want the 3nm OIII.

Gina, I do want one but does my bank manager??

Olly

Bank Manager approves O3 3nm... :grin: I think it s a good pic, lots of sharp contrasty detail in there. I know what you mean about hoping to pull out more from an object. Some objects for me just don't do it. IC1396. I find that a flat boring object. In the soul I do so a happy ghost face to the RHS. Two big Manga eyes and a mouth. It is a bit trumped by its neighbour I agree on that.

Archived