Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Picking up 250px flextube - what do I need to check for?

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up a 250px flextube this week and just wanted a bit of advice in what to check for before handing over the money. The guy seems genuine and really nice but I want to obviously make sure I get a decent scope.

As this is my first scope, although I've done research, can you offer advice on which things to check and what should come with the scope (basics).

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil, just check the mirror looks clean and secure, also that the secondary is secure on the 'spider' at the front. Look down the focuser without the eyepiece in and make sure it gives a good reflection of the main mirror. Check the finder scope is with the package, and also if the scope is mounted on the rocker box check that the telescope can rotate smoothly and so on. The original scope comes with two ep's, a 10mm and a 25mm as well. In summary, check the stability and quality of the telescope in general, that there are not any dings etc.

Phil, my 250px goto squeaks like an old boat when you manually turn the base. This is not unusual (at least i hope not) :huh:

Hey Paul,

Just for piece of mind my GOTO squeaks really badly when moving manually too.. There are threads about this and how to remedy it!

Philk_80

Another thing to check is whether you get a light shroud for the gap in the middle where the trusses are... Could be an overlooked expense if not! FLO do Astrozap ones for this scope for about 60 odd quid!

And of course check there are no clouds supplied with it... :evil:

Good luck with your new toy!! it really is a great scope and you will see some awe inspiring sights through it!!... next stop for you will be the eyepiece discussion forum! and then onto online credit card applications to pay for them all...Its a slippery slope!! See you at the bottom!!

Clear skies

The most critical issue may be that the Dob base is constructed from chipboard coated in white melamine with black strips along the edges. If the scope has been genuinely kept in the dry, and especially after being coated in dew, wiped down to dry it, there should be no sign of any swelling of the chipboard panels. If there has been any swelling, then you may expect to see a tiny amount of the brown chipboard showing at the edges where the white panels and black edge strips meet.

Archived