Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why does it not look like the Deathstar exploding

This was my wifes observation of the new nova Delphini!

She expected to see an explosion like we see on many films..

I will have to take her by spaceship to see the nova close up to meet her expectations!

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested to see if we get a planetary nebula after this nova..or is that only supernova?

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Planetary nebula form from old stars, red giants, that expell their out layers.

The exposed core emits UV radiation that ionizes these layers which then reradiate

the UV, this we see as a planetary nebula.....they typically last in 10s of thousands

of years.

A Nova on the other hand is a short event caused when a star accretes material, mainly

hydrogen and helium, from a nearby star and has a runaway nuclear reaction that blows

this material into space. The ejected matter is very small, about 1/10000 of a solar mass

and the timescale is in centuries, in theory you would not likely see a planetary nebula form.

There are of course Nova remnants that are visible, generally speaking they are short lived

in astronomical time.

If you were close enough to any supernova to see it's 'explosion' radiating outwards in real time then you'd be better off deciding on what prayers you'd like to be saying there and then (if you were that way inclined).

Archived