Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200p eq5 to dob?

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a 200p eq5 very soon but have been a bit worried my girlfriend wont be able to set it up by herself as i spend significant time away from home.

Is it possible to retrofit a dobsonian to this set up so that either can be used as an option? Does anyone know were i can find a dob to fit, with the mounting requirments?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The question is usually put the other way round - 'what do I need to convert a 200p Dob to an EQ mount?' - and that way round it's do-able. You need tube rings, a dovetail bar, and an EQ5, and you'd probably need to remove the Dob mounting cheeks from the tube. However the Dob (SW 200p Skyliner) version is 1200mm focal length whereas the other (SW 200p Explorer) version is 1000mm focal length so you should be prepared for the extra length of the Dob tube when fitted to the EQ mount.

it's perfectly do-able the other way too, you can use the same tube rings but would need to either make or get someone to make a base for you. there are lots if plans online and on here in the diy section. it's straight forward enough if you take your time. I suspect that unless you image, you may never go back to eq after trying it in dob mode.

it's perfectly do-able the other way too, you can use the same tube rings but would need to either make or get someone to make a base for you. there are lots if plans online and on here in the diy section. it's straight forward enough if you take your time. I suspect that unless you image, you may never go back to eq after trying it in dob mode.

Shane'll do one for ya....he's got a bit of time on his hands these days ;) JOKING.

As he said, if ap is not on the agenda, maybe go straight for the dob. you'll need the full 200mm to make up for those dark outback skies :).

Thanks guys,

I hadnt even thought of the DIY option.

The eq mount is really for my own interest. I have not used one. But photography is definitely something i woud like to try to, hence the dilemma.

All good. One thing at a time.

I'm not sure the eq5 will be up to photography since the 200 is a heavy tube. I would go dob then maybe get a heq5 second hand?

The EQ5 is suitable for AP,if you're on a budget or just 'testing the water' ,it's not ideal but it can be done with some people on here obtaining great images

Archived