SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What is this near M27?

DoctorD

Hi

This image of M27 is a stack of 18 frames taken with my SDC435 video camera using my C8 and F3.3 reducer taken of the 1st August 2013.

Focus isn't brilliant and there is some coma, probably due to incorrect spacing.

However I'm not sure what the bright star highlighted is.

Nothing here is as bright as the three stars forming a triangle around the object, yet these do not show the same aberration.

The blooming only seems to occur on the brighter stars - could this be a supernova?

post-11951-137649791017_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's there on all 18 frames - I only have an AZ mount and there's a significant amount of movement between each frame so I'm pretty sure it's not some thing in the optical train.

Paul

HI Paul,

I took this capture a couple of weeks ago and it is there too. I put dowwn to bad processing , focusing but it is there. The scale and the oreintation are different.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-62089900-1376502720_thumb.j

Hi James

I agree it's definitely comet like but which one?

Heavens Above puts C/2010 S1 some 5 degrees away on the 1st August at 20h0.46m 29deg57min just like Stellarium (although they may be using the same data).

http://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=C%2F2010%20S1&lat=53.79391&lng=-1.8469&loc=Thornton&alt=0&tz=UCT

Wonder what we have captured as I cannot find reference to any other comet in Vulpecula around that date?

Clear Skies

Paul

I took this capture a couple of weeks ago and it is there too. I put dowwn to bad processing , focusing but it is there. The scale and the oreintation are different.

Not sure that I can see Paul's object in your image AG- I can see a fuzzy red coloured object in yours but I think that's just a red coloured star that got a bit squiffy with processing - you can see it in the attached pic that I took in October 2011.

post-5202-0-34127100-1376508107_thumb.jp

Hmmm. According to Stellarium, C/2010 S1 doesn't get much closer than five degrees. Either Stellarium's data is wrong or it's not the one.

James

CdC is showing it way off too, so it can't be C/2010 S1.

Hmmm... interesting little chap. :smile: Certainly looks comet like.

Hi

This image of M27 is a stack of 18 frames taken with my SDC435 video camera using my C8 and F3.3 reducer taken of the 1st August 2013.

Focus isn't brilliant and there is some coma, probably due to incorrect spacing.

However I'm not sure what the bright star highlighted is.

Nothing here is as bright as the three stars forming a triangle around the object, yet these do not show the same aberration.

The blooming only seems to occur on the brighter stars - could this be a supernova?

post-11951-137649791017_thumb.jpg

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have reprocessed my file again but with very conservative settings so the stars don't get much processing, there is something there not as obvious as yours but it is there. Would be nice to know what others think. I also have a mono capture of the M27 that was done a few nights later it is in Ha 35 nm, I see if there is anything there.

Regards,

A.G

I've just had a look at the British Astronomical Society website and cannot find any reference to a comet in this area in August:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/n53vis.txt

I've sorted the list by RA to make it easier to search in a spreadsheet which you can find here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubrnsovnzb4u1tg/Comets%20Aug-13.xlsx

Curiouser and curiouser....

Paul

I don't think its double star - it has a halo around it like a comet.

Here's a single frame (10s exposure)

M27 01 08 13 single frame

And here's the stacked version without the yellow circle

M27 AAWA 5p

Anyone else imaged M27 on or around the 1st August 2013/

Clear Skies

Paul

Hi R3i

I can see it in A.G.'s image - but I cannot see the star you mean in yours?

It's there on my raw capture which was done with Sharpcap and EZcap video capture device, no stretching of levels or gamma.

I did not use an IR filter, just a Baader Neodymium Moon and Sky Glow filter (old version without IR block) - I would have expected similar aberrations on other stars of similar brightness if this was the cause - unless this star is particularly bright in the IR end of the spectrum. Mind you not sure how much of an issue IR is with an SCT and reducer?

Clear Skies

Paul

Hi R3i

Hi Paul,

I've done a quick comparison between your image, AG's and my old one. I've highlighted the area of interest on each:

post-5202-0-04094000-1376514285_thumb.jp

Hi R3i

It's there on my raw capture which was done with Sharpcap and EZcap video capture device, no stretching of levels or gamma.

I did not use an IR filter, just a Baader Neodymium Moon and Sky Glow filter (old version without IR block) - I would have expected similar aberrations on other stars of similar brightness if this was the cause - unless this star is particularly bright in the IR end of the spectrum. Mind you not sure how much of an issue IR is with an SCT and reducer?

Clear Skies

Paul

Hi Paul,

With your permission I attach a section of the full frame reprocessed file with the anomaly clearly visible, I hope that it is the processing but as I mentioned I have given it very little to preserve the stars. I looked at the date and it was captured on the 7th & 8th of july, a stack of 25 subs 240s each between 11.32 pm on the 7th and 1.15 am of the 8th of july.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-99880500-1376514354_thumb.p

Given that it appears to be the only star affected in the image, and that two people imaged it independently, I guess we shouldn't discount the possibility that something happened to the star itself.

James

Hi R3i

Thanks - definitely a very red star where the artefact is. I wonder what has caused it?

Clear skies

Paul

Hi Paul,

My head says IR bloat, my heart hopes you've captured the red star going nova :smile:

Guess what we'll all be imaging on the next clear night :smile:

Assuming of course that it is actually the star. Do you both know exactly what time you were imaging? If you were a few hours apart even and there appears to be no movement whatsoever perhaps that's enough reason to believe it is the star rather than some object occluding the star.

James

Archived