SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Would small tiny specks effect observing?

I been cleaning eyepieces taking them apart for 30 years but its always tough sometimes on some eyepieces where after you clean them and put them back together and you look they it towards a bright light you see different dust specks that was not there before I clean my UO 16mm konjng A 4 element and always I have very small speck Does that effect viewing for anyone like looking at the moon? These spots are tiny in a 68 fov so I think I leave it an not mess or scratched the lenses on the eyepiece dale anyone has suggestions?

I agree with John. only likely on the moon (and possibly during the day but I don't use my newts for that!) but nothing else. I think I read you have lots of eyepieces so just avoid this one on the moon and use another if it bothers you? I agree that risk of damage is worse than the odd dust bunny.

Why do you dismantle your eps to clean them? I would only ever do this if they were contaminated with mould. You shouldn't get dust inside if they are properly sealed. I only ever clean the outside if things get really bad. Leave them alone if they are behaving themselves.

you do occasionally get flecks of the paint used inside the eyepiece on the internal faces of the lenses. this was the case even with a brand new 26mm Nagler I bought once. the supplier provided a replacement without any issue.

After the years you claim to have been dealing with eyepieces you should Know to leave well alone, I firmly believe the more you tamper the more that can go wrong. I only ever clean the upper and lower surface of my collection and that is only when necessary, 80% of them have never seen a cleaning fluid.

The problem with taking anything apart is unless you are in a very clean enviroment you are likely to only move things around or make things worse.

Even when I have cleaned an eyepiece I have never been able to see a difference after.

Alan.

I have a small paint fleck inside my Baader Hyperion zoom which I can see when viewing the Sun and Moon. I would never attempt to take it apart because it is ok on planets and DSO. As previously stated I only usually clean the eye lens and this is not that often.

Mark

Archived