Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Attaching a handle to 8se?

Hi all. Ive just been pondering the idea of attaching a handle to my 8se for the purpose of carrying OTA and holding while attaching scope to mount.

It would make life in general a bit easier and safer. Has anyone done such a thing and can tell how you did it?

All suggestions welcome.

I'm thinking it cant be as simple as a couple of strips of double sided sticky velcro................................or can it. I have used it before and its incredibly strong and the OTA of the 8se is rather lightweight, so maybe that is the way to go without having to drill anything.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I guess it already has a dovetail attached directly to the OTA - But... Tube Rings?

Adds to the weight / "offset", but allows addition of a "stiffening" dovetail on the top.

Additional finders, guide-scopes, balance weights? Doubles as a carrying Handle... :)

I guess it already has a dovetail attached directly to the OTA - But... Tube Rings?

Adds to the weight / "offset", but allows addition of a "stiffening" dovetail on the top.

Additional finders, guide-scopes, balance weights? Doubles as a carrying Handle... :)

It has a dovetail along the OTA but no tube rings needed. It also only has a RDF attached which obviously wouldnt be used to carry it. I was thinking of a handle attached at 90 degrees to the dovetail bar (i.e.: on the top of the OTA in its user/being used position).

Forgive my artistic skills (or extreme lack of), but i am thinking a handle somewhere in a position as in this image:the black line at the top of the OTA.

post-5361-0-41166600-1375719981_thumb.jp

Can you attach a dovetail on the top?

I cant see why not. It could act as a handle?. I'd rather explore non-drilling options. I'm only guessing that dovetails need to be drilled into the tube to secure them..............even if i dont plan to use it as an actual dovetail to mount the scope.

I want something i can really grasp with my hand rather then a fingertip solution like a dovetail bar.

This sort of thing would be great, but my 8SE wont allow me to do it by design.

Or would it!!!!.

Yes it would. The tube rings have a dovetail bar attached (i assume). I'd just need to unscrew the dovetail bar that is already on my scope. It would mean the handle is just 90 degrees to the side rather then on top.............where i would prefer it t be.

Now where to find such a setup for an 8" scope and not too expensive.

I'm still down with the velcro idea,i must admit.

post-5361-0-90121100-1375721375_thumb.jp

You could consider a cut down leather belt, each end could be secured at each end of the OTA using the screws already in the tube. :smiley:

You mean retro fitted above/on top of the existing dovetail using the same screws?. It wouldnt be in the position i want but the belt would allow me to gain a very good back-hand grip which would allow me to use my free hand to mount it. It would be a bit like the grip you have with a camcorder with a hand strap at the side??????????

I do really like that idea. Cheap,simple and effective. It basically means less fear of dropping the OTA.

Thanks Peter. That sounds very doable. I'll mull it over.

Get some aluminium bar from B&Q , bend it into the shape you require and then secure it to the OTA through the accessory mount screws at either end of the tube.

I have done something similar to mount my guide scope to on my C8 XLT.

Archived