Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

August 4, 2013: First H-alpha mosaic

Very nice Michael, looking very good to me and congrats on your first mosaic.

Autostitch default settings are not all that good, the scale is set to 10%, up this to 100%, try upping the blending bands from 2 to 4 and the blending sigma from 10 to 15. Tick the brightness adjust and use defaults.

Then on the RANSAC values, try upping the first value from 10 to 15 and the second value from 0.2 to 0.17. Change the iterations from 500 to 750 and finally the output quality from default (0.75) to 0.95.

Sorry doing it from memory but I think all of those changes will give more detail and a smoother image, at least those are the settings I use as default.

Robin

Cheers everyone! I tried Robins settings (assuming gain correction was the same as brightness correction and these are the results. My previous settings had upped the jpeg quality to 100% already, which helps a lot. I think the new settings are indeed better. They allowed me to push wavelets a bit more.

post-5655-0-13965100-1375692233_thumb.jppost-5655-0-16768600-1375692266_thumb.jp

Hi Michael,

I was looking on an iPad last night and didn't spot the bands on there, but they are clearly visible on my desktop PC. I agree 2 blending bands does give a better image. Autostitch was written as a demo tool to show the imager stitcher, I don't think it was ever intended to be used in anger. I did try one of the commercial products which uses the Autostitch engine, but I couldn't get any useful results at all.

As Autostitch is not a commercial product the notes on the settings are somewhat lacking and I had to go by trial and error. I started with the defaults, changed output size up to 100% and JPEG Quality to 95%, but left everything else as is. If it didn't stitch then I tried changing the settings.

Eventually, I made a note of the settings I use and just enter these every time, they are as follows:

Defaults apart from

Scale 100%

Rendering - Multi-band

Blending bands 4

Blending sigma 10

Gain compensation - On

RANSAC Parameters

Alpha 15

Beta 0.17

Max iterations 750

Jepg Quality 95

I must admit I haven't seen any horizontal dark bands like in your image, but I have seen a quadrant (around an 1/8th) that lacks detail or is darkish. Perhaps those settings I use suit my scope/camera set up and number of panes and maybe each of us is going to have to work out our own set of settings?

Robin

Archived