NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Hyperion on Dob?

I've had good results with the 5mm Celestron X-Cel LX, which is a cheap approximation to the Hyperion. My 24mm and 10mm Hyperions are also great with it as well. The XCels do have the benefit of being more dainty in size compared to the Hyperion hand-grenades!

I've had good results with the 5mm Celestron X-Cel LX, which is a cheap approximation to the Hyperion. My 24mm and 10mm Hyperions are also great with it as well. The XCels do have the benefit of being more dainty in size compared to the Hyperion hand-grenades!

I've owned both and I'd say that the X-Cel LX's are a bit better than the Hyperions. Not "cheap approximations" to my mind :smiley:

The hyperions really do seem to split opinions, is there any chance you could get to try one out before you buy? in my 6" f8 the 21mm Hyp' is a lovely EP, but in the 10" f4.8 its absolutely awful. At f5 I imagine it would suffer a fair bit too. Having said that, the 8mm will perform much better than the 21mm in this respect. My advice (I've said it before and I'll say it again) is to look out for a S/H Radian... you should be able to pick one up for around £100 and will blow the Hyperion out of the water in a faster scope.

I agree about the Radians. also watch out for a used type 2 nagler. I got a 16mm for just over £100 and in some ways I prefer it to my 13mm Ethos. also in my humble opinion, you cannot go wrong with televue plossls. a 15mm and 2x barlow is a great match for your scope, giving mag of 160x which will work a lot of the time and be your best higher power quite often.

I never got on with the 5mm Hyperion. Neither in my 10" Newt (250x) or 4" frac (200x). To be honest, I never have much cause to go for those kind of magnifications but when doing so prefer the sheer quality and 'concentrated tightness' of a Baader Genuine Ortho. If you were looking for a better quality, similar field of view and priced EP, I agree with both George and John and suggest that the X-Cel LX will be the better purchase. I found that it outperformed the Hyperion not only optically but also as a lighter weight, easier to manage eyepiece.

Other than that, one cannot go wrong with Andy's and Shane's advice: so long as it is in good condition, you simply can't go wrong with purchasing a Tele Vue secondhand. Each type will no doubt surrender up delicious views and long moments of pleasure. I think it is worth saving just that little extra (if necessary), knowing that once bought you pretty much have a lifer on your hands.

One thing I did forget to mention is the advantage that Hyperions have over all other fixed focal length eyepieces....fine tuning rings. Their modular design means I can unscrew the eyepiece, fit a 14mm / 28mm / or both fine tuning rings, to tweak the focal length and get the maximum magnification for any given nights viewing conditions. As far as I know the only eyepieces that are as flexible as that are zooms, and they come with their own pros and cons. I use the fine tuning rings far more often than I thought I would and I know I have had nights observing when they have turned an 'okay' night into a 'brilliant' night.

I still have my collection of plossls and use them from time to time in both my telescopes, but I find the 68 degree field of view of the Hyperions to be more comfortable and appealing to use. Looking through a plossls 52 degree field of view feels constricted and I can only imagine looking through an ortho would feel positively claustrophobic....though I do intend to find out for myself one day :)

I've bought a few of my Hyperions new, but most are 'pre-loved' and cost from £65. Weighing up their pros and cons I consider them to be a good buy for both my telescopes.

Eye relief will be the other thing to consider with a plossl at those focal lengths, if it is something that bothers you or you wear glasses.

I'm still waiting to use my 5mm X-Cel LX so can't comment on that yet other than to say it's a solid, well build piece of kit.

Cheers

Archived