NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The 'Coathanger' asterism and hedgehog

RT65CB-SWL

As it is/was hot again lastnight (14/15th July 2013) and I could not sleep, I thought I would 'grab & go' my 20x80 binoculars out for a spot of observing and cool down. I could not be bothered to get the tripod out.

I lied down on the grass and looked straight up at Vega. I tried to find M57, but I was plagued with thin cloud over most of Lyra. I did a few sweeps of the Milky Way going through Cygnus before the cloud interuppted viewing. I then came across the 'Coathanger' asterism. It was then I wish I had my tripod. 20x80 bins certainly are heavy after twenty seconds laying on your back, but it then was definately worth it, only to get nudged by the neibourhood hedgehog.

Nice little observation report! I love the coathanger.

Yeah, spontaneous observing is the best, I always keep forgetting half my stuff thou.

the weight and tripod use is the reason I did not get binoculars larger then 10x50 yet, even though it would be nice sometimes.

I came to this thread thinking "I've heard of the Coathanger but I've never heard of an asterism called the hedgehog." :grin:

Funnily enough I've never encountered one at my dark site though there's always plenty of rustling and squeaking going on in the undergrowth. I wonder if hedgehogs are now more common in people's gardens than in more remote locations. Or maybe just more tame.

The Coathanger is one of my favourites too. I'm actually just in after putting out some bowls of water in strategic places for any passing through hedgehogs. They'll need a little help staying hydrated in this hot weather.

Incidentally, I've read that if you see a hedgehog foraging during the day then it's struggling to find food and you should leave something out for it. Cat food (not fish) is one recommendation.

Why is it that hedgehogs will walk up to you at night and stand there staring at you,wanting you to move out of their way. They are demanding that way.

yes....they can be quite pushy at times

Archived