Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Silly question- Flextube?

you have to types of Newtonian telescope a flex tube which is basically collapsible or a complete cylinder that is rolled from one sheet of steel,the later is the more conventional type

The flextube, which as mentioned, is a newtonian type telescope, assembled onto a (separate) dobsonian base, is one unit that collapses / slides along three struts or poles that separates the upper - secondary tube assembly, from the lower - primary tube section, enabling it to become more compact for storage and transport.

It's a tradename of a particular type of collapsible SkyWatcher dobsonian - the others posters have explained it. I've got the 12" and can recommend it, though not as a first scope. I'd say start with an 8" solid tube dob.

It's a tradename of a particular type of collapsible SkyWatcher dobsonian - the others posters have explained it. I've got the 12" and can recommend it, though not as a first scope. I'd say start with an 8" solid tube dob.

Yup true that! For a starter scope an 8" dob is simply amazing! It's light enough to carry around, and also large enough to start showing some amazing detail in DSOs. You will enjoy the dob as a first scope!

And whilst the flextube dobs may actually be a smidge heavier than their non flextube counterparts, they're comparatively very compact when closed up. if you need to travel with a scope they're probably a very good choice.

James

Thankyou everyone for those excellent responses, they are so helpful. I feel a bit a better as it was't such a daft qustion after all. It has also given me wider options on what telescope to obtain.

Archived