Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Splendid Doubles

Hi fellow Astronomers.. I am looking for some really "wow" factor doubles to observe or even Triplets this month, Any of you guys recommend any? :smiley:

CLEAR SKIES GUYS...

Kind regards

Vince

There's so, so many, I'll just name a few of those that I have visited this month in Cepheus, Lyra & Cygnus. Even if you've seen them, they're always worth a revisit.

Cygnus

Beta Cygni.

61 Cygni.

Upsilon Cygni.

Delta Cygni

16 Cygni a must catch with NGC 6826 in the same field of view.

Lyra

Epsilon, Zeta, Beta, Alpha Lyrae.

Struve 2470 & 2474

Cepheus

Beta, Delta Cephei.

Struve 2816 & 2819 encapsualted within IC 1396 (Cephei)

Struve 2840

Xi Cephei

Otto Struve 461 (Cephei)

I've found that it augments the aesthetic and intellectual pleasure of viewing doubles by sketching the sparklers, visually trying to work out their spectral type, size and temperature, separation and position angle and then the following day swotting up on them if possible.

Iota Cassiopeiae is one of my favourite multiple stars :smiley:

http://www.starobser...assiopeiae.html

For a really tough challenge try Zeta Herculis. There has been some discussion on this one here:

http://stargazerslou...anaged-a-split/

I like the idea of a challenge John.. With an angular separation of 1.5 arc seconds it will be a tuffie though :tongue: ... I guess it will be one to watch over many month's perhaps even years ( i dont know will that depend on the phase its in?) :tongue: .. But i have made a note of it and i will give it a go :smiley:

I would spend a little time in Bootes.

Eplsilon is very nice. Mu is a lovely triple system and Xi has a nice pinkish companion.

Don't forget Kappa, yellow/white & blue!

Regards, Chris.

Vince, I copied it to a word doc and looked at the data, then realised that you have a goto and they do not always list the doubles by the Bayer/Flamsteed designation, well mine doesn't. Just searched out the SAO number for the list given - couple I cannot fill in and one I am unsure of 30 Aries.

If you want a copy of the word doc pm me an email and I will attach and send on.

May forward the small update to the Delaware people, would seem fair.

I really like double stars but feel they are somewhat subtle in their beauty. the enjoyment for me comes from tracking them down with the star map, teasing the colours out from the pair and then comparing what I saw with what my book tells me I should have seen and also as John says, splitting the challenging ones. sometimes looking in a double star book shows up some surprises. I didn't realise Vega had a companion until I did.

I totally agree Moonshane, As with all objects i look at i make a list of what i want to look at in relation to there position in the sky and if i haven't read about them before i go out i read about them the next day, Then after i have read about them and found out something else about an object i will go and look at them again. :smiley:

Archived