Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Career in Astrophysics

Naemeth

But only the elite or someone very special gets to become the next Brian Cox or Chris Lintott....

Agreed, but there are many jobs in Astrophysics and related subjects that don't require a Cox or Lintott. Also, an Astrophysics degree can lead to many careers not directly related to the field itself; other varieties of physics, motorsport, economics and banking, and all kinds of other fields respect a degree in Astro. The key point in this subject is the reliance on the ability to solve mathematical problems and apply maths skills to the real world. The astro-conceptual side of the field is more like a window dressing. The skills and abilities can serve you very well if you are able to apply them.

I was a chef for 12 years, and am now half way through my Astro degree. It is without a doubt the best decision I have ever made, and whilst my job prospects may not be pointing me to a regular slot on the BBC, they're much more like to propel me through a career than olive oil and self-raising flour.

If you can find a funding source, I say do it!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland is an interesting idea, one I've considered but initially ruled out unless I can find a job to support myself up there. But it is possible, it would just require a while living there before I could get free tuition (I think it is 4 years).

I certainly don't want to do a degree just for more transferable skills, I can already show my ability in solving mathematical problems and other things like that. I'm fairly sure it wouldn't require all that much to go into finance or accounting from what I have now, I'd just need to start lower.

The education would certainly only be for a career, one in Physics, Astrophysics, Space, or even Engineering, although I have no experience of that :).

I'm fairly sure it wouldn't require all that much to go into finance or accounting from what I have now, I'd just need to start lower.

Well... that could provide your funding source. I know a couple of accountants who, well, worked hard and took the money, and then in their early/mid thirties decided to go and do something completely different, but with the resources of having worked behind them. It's still a big commitment, but they're doing okay. Just a thought.

(I mean, Brian Cox and Brian May started their careers in music, right? Maybe you should change your name to Brian?)

If student fees are a problem, you could consider studying in the Netherlands. We are switching all our teaching in undergraduate courses to English coming academic year (MSc courses were already international). While fees have increased, they are not nearly as extortionate as in the UK. The Kapteyn Institute here in Groningen is held in high esteem.

Well... that could provide your funding source. I know a couple of accountants who, well, worked hard and took the money, and then in their early/mid thirties decided to go and do something completely different, but with the resources of having worked behind them. It's still a big commitment, but they're doing okay. Just a thought.

(I mean, Brian Cox and Brian May started their careers in music, right? Maybe you should change your name to Brian?)

I suppose that's a valid way of doing it, but it does make me seem like a mercenary :icon_scratch:.

Edit: Michael, I suppose I could move to the Netherlands, but I don't know if I'd need to learn Dutch, languages don't come that easily to me (then again, my best friend is half dutch, so that could help :)).

I suppose that's a valid way of doing it, but it does make me seem like a mercenary :icon_scratch:.

Edit: Michael, I suppose I could move to the Netherlands, but I don't know if I'd need to learn Dutch, languages don't come that easily to me (then again, my best friend is half dutch, so that could help :)).

Almost everybody in the Netherlands speaks English (they will even correct yours :D). Officially, you might have to take one course, but in practice, there should be no problems

Almost everybody in the Netherlands speaks English (they will even correct yours :D). Officially, you might have to take one course, but in practice, there should be no problems

They will have to spend a surprising amount of time doing that :D.

The issue of Mathematical ability is often raised re. the Physical Sciences. On a practical level, my (old style) grade "C" A-Level "struggled" occasionally? LOL. But it worked re. a joint honours 1st in Physics & Chemistry, later a Ph.D. in Particle Physics etc. ;)

I hope (as in my case) value will be placed on ability / enthusiasm for SCIENCE. To recognise the need for "hardware" guys/gals? People who develop prototypes, build and test "detectors" - The most FUN part anyway! Software, Electronics... RUN shifts, gather / analyse data etc. :o

Science is not all about "Working for the BBC", becoming a "science journalist" - Expounding one's vision for a future of "rationalist" humanity etc. [Part teasing] Cultivate a degree of internationalism? Modest linguistic ability / geographic mobility, a bonus... Nay, a blessing? :p

After a few years doing the above, I rather "fell out of love"... with Science - Or rather certain scientists! Politics and "religion" (finance!) re. science get a bit depressing these days. But overall still one of the rather more laudable activities of humanity? I persist with Amateur Astronomy anyway! :)

Dutch is easy, without any qualification I can already speak "double Dutch" :smiley: Good luck with your future Naemeth. Spend as little time as possible in this life doing anything you don't like doing.

Dutch is easy, without any qualification I can already speak "double Dutch" :smiley: Good luck with your future Naemeth. Spend as little time as possible in this life doing anything you don't like doing.

Oye, some of us are Dutch here. :D I do not even recollect how that phrase came about, I do know it is also a kind of game in the form of rope skipping :)

My personal plan with regards to a career after my Astro degree is a) aim high and hope to get the grades necessary to progress to an MA, PhD etc., or B) take the best I can get with my meagre (and more likely) 2:1 or 2:2. I would love to work in Physics, and it is my ultimate goal, but I think it's important to have a contingency plan. After all, Astrophysics really is not easy, and takes a heck of a lot of work. Even committed, intelligent students don't necessarily get the highest grades. Of course, for me at least, this is no reason not to try!

Yes, it's good that people "come out"... admit to being (qualified) scientists... or whatever. :D

(Such can either make you a "local hero" or pariah, depending on the real-world audience?).

One day, we'll get the balance right? New nerdism cool, old nerdism un-cool? Nah, Scientists

are (have always been) just like you and me... Good / Bad, in whatever normal proportion? ;)

Naemeth, since you are studying music with maths, you must do quite a lot of signal processing and Fourier transforms. I think if you progress down the path of a signal engineer, you can have a go at radio astronomy. I must admit I know very little about radio astronomy, but a lot of the things they do seems to be related to S/N ratio and extracting useful signal from a background of noise.

Naemeth, since you are studying music with maths, you must do quite a lot of signal processing and Fourier transforms. I think if you progress down the path of a signal engineer, you can have a go at radio astronomy. I must admit I know very little about radio astronomy, but a lot of the things they do seems to be related to S/N ratio and extracting useful signal from a background of noise.

I only did ~1 term of Maths, then dropped it. I didn't do any Fourier transformations, just a bit of Pure Maths and Geometry.

Radio Astronomy does sound interesting - and it's something you can do whether it is cloudy or clear!

Archived