Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BST or Williams for big SCT?

Vince1963

Hi guy's.. I am thinking of replacing a couple of my short F/ EPs for planetary and i would like to hear from anyone who as experience with any of the BSTs and WO. I have a C11 and i have been looking at these EPs http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-spl-eyepiece.html

I like the look of these because they have a generous ER.. Much the same as the BSTs really, but i'm hoping to improve the contrast at high mag, with the slightly reduced FOV in the WO EP.. .. Will i be gaining much?. I know there not Naglers and i know you get what you pay for but anyway... Can anyone help? :smiley:

The only problem I see with the WO SPL is the limited range of focal lengths. In the C11 the 12.5mm gives a useful 224x, but the 6mm is over the top (even in my C8 I would rarely grab such a short F/L). Have you considered the Vixen (N)LV range? More options there, and the same eye relief. The pop up second hand from time to time. There are several Radian EPs second hand on ABS-UK at the moment. These are excellent EPs, in my experience, and only bested by the top of the line XW and Delos EPs.

There is a WO SPL 12.5mm secondhand on ABS-UK here:

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=70927

Sounds like good deal and you could sell it without loss should you be disappointed

Looks like a bargain!

Although the 6mm EP would be over-doing it for you, I can vouch for its quality.

It's one of my favourites, crisp clear views and a comfy EP to use, if the 12.5mm is the same then for a very reasonable piece it'd be a very good EP.

Cheers

I think there are some good suggestions in this thread but, to be honest, I'm not sure they will result in any significant improvement over the planetary performance of your BST's, which, despite their low price, are pretty good eyepieces.

I don't know if the shorter eye relief and narrower field of view are palatable for you but good orthoscopic eyepieces such as the Astro Hutechs, Baader GO's or Baader Classic Orthos will deliver top echelon planetary performance, ie: as good as it gets unless you are prepared to spend £hundreds per eyepiece.

Just a thought :smiley:

Thanks guy's for your help.. And John... I had never considered the Orhto's due to the shorter ER.. The only reason being that i have noticed a decline in my eyesight these last few years and didn't know if that would be a problem... (i now have to wear them for reading). maybe you or some one can clear this one up.But the Baaded ortho do look a nice EP. I also like the look of the second hand WO Bingevader, that would make for a good test run without a large outlay then i'd be able to see what the WO are like. Going back to your comment John with regard to the BST's, I have found them lacking in sharp high contrast at high mag, and to be honest i was starting to wonder if i'd got some reject EPs cause i know ever one raves about them or maybe again its down to my eyesight.... My view is that the EPs mentioned all have less elements and less elements = more light at the eye but i know quality of the EPs is also a consideration too. on the BST light as a lot of elements before hitting the eyeball. :smiley:

Thanks again for your help guys its very much appreciated

Kind regards

Vince

I'd definitely consider the LV / NLV range, in nearly all aspects they were equal to TV plossls. The only differences were eye relief, and that the LVs (and presumably NLVs) exhibit a blue "ring of fire" on the Moon when at the field stop. If bought second hand, they can go as low as £35, and for that price they are definitely a steal!

Edit: Thinking about it, the LVs perhaps have a slightly warmer tone that the TV plossls, but in my book that isn't an issue.

I'd second John's suggestion...you've got a tracking mount, so if you don't need your glasses to correct for anything else, use the focus travel on your C11 and try one of the ortho types.

You don't absolutely need to spend lots with an SCT but you can tell the difference between mass and quality glass in one. It's one half of your telescope.

Thanks guy's for your help.. And John... I had never considered the Orhto's due to the shorter ER.. The only reason being that i have noticed a decline in my eyesight these last few years and didn't know if that would be a problem... (i now have to wear them for reading). maybe you or some one can clear this one up.But the Baaded ortho do look a nice EP. I also like the look of the second hand WO Bingevader, that would make for a good test run without a large outlay then i'd be able to see what the WO are like. Going back to your comment John with regard to the BST's, I have found them lacking in sharp high contrast at high mag, and to be honest i was starting to wonder if i'd got some reject EPs cause i know ever one raves about them or maybe again its down to my eyesight.... My view is that the EPs mentioned all have less elements and less elements = more light at the eye but i know quality of the EPs is also a consideration too. on the BST light as a lot of elements before hitting the eyeball. :smiley:

Thanks again for your help guys its very much appreciated

Kind regards

Vince

Vince with regard to BST I would agree with your comments. I had not used them for some time and popped in the 8 and 12 a few months back and viewed the moon - yes they are comfortable and well corrected. I then swapped to a televue plossl, nagler, vixen LV and maxvision - fields of view apart they all gave for me a high quality view. Switching back to the explorers there was a drop in contrast, not much, but noticeable. A guess ultimately whilst good, they lack something in the quality of the glass used.

andrew

Vince with regard to BST I would agree with your comments. I had not used them for some time and popped in the 8 and 12 a few months back and viewed the moon - yes they are comfortable and well corrected. I then swapped to a televue plossl, nagler, vixen LV and maxvision - fields of view apart they all gave for me a high quality view. Switching back to the explorers there was a drop in contrast, not much, but noticeable. A guess ultimately whilst good, they lack something in the quality of the glass used.

andrew

Thanks for that Andrew, I thought i was imaging it...good to know some else notices the same thing. I think i'm going to give the Baader GO's, But will give it some more thought :smiley:

Archived