Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M16 The Eagle Nebula in NB with MN190 - WIP

Gina

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You couldn't dropbox the fit file for that single sub could you Gina would like to see what it looks like compaired to an Atik 383 ha single 10m sub of the same object. I know there is a filter and scope difference.

Here's one of mine, the collimations out a bit https://www.dropbox....m16 ha_1391.fit

Yes, here's the link :- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39971951/MN190_1867Ha-10m%282%29.fit

I should say though that the cloud came back towards the end of the exposure and I think there was a bit of haze throughout - transparency and seeing were not very good.

We had an hour or so of clear sky last night before the clouds came back and I managed 5 x 5m of Ha, 4 x 5m + 1 x 7m OIII and 3 x 5m + 1 x7m SII with the the OIII and SII binned 2x2.

Here are the separate NB stacks processed in PS to stretch the histogram, resized for uploading and saved as PNG. I'll align, combine and process these later and upload the result

post-13131-0-07399700-1373019465_thumb.p post-13131-0-80871600-1373019510_thumb.p post-13131-0-56194200-1373019557_thumb.p

I have now aligned the stacked and processed images in RegiStar, combined and further processed in PS, cropped for upload and saved as PNG. Here is the result in "natural colour" pallette. Ha + 50% SII to red, OIII to green and OIII +25% Ha to blue. I'll be doing the Hubble pallet version next.

post-13131-0-57951200-1373023188_thumb.p

This clearly needs more data to reduce the noise, as expected. Noise was particualrly evident in the stretched OIII and SII images so they need much more. For the next session I think I'll double up the the number of subs for them rather than risk star bloat by increasing the sub exposures. ie. 1 Ha, 2 OIII and 2 SII in the Sequencer with the sequence Ha, OIII, OIII, SII, SII, Ha, OIII, OIII, SII, SII, etc.

Coming on nicely Gina. I do prefer the hubble version.

Thank you Dave :) Hubble version coming up :)
I like your idea for the sequence to get double OIII and SII. I will copy that on my next nb.

Dave

Thanks - yes the sequencer is very useful and quite versatile :)

Looking very nice Gina. I wanted to have a go at that as well but have a big tree in the way!!

Thank you :) Trees can be a nuisance - I think I might have the same problem later in the night :( The scope seemed to be heading that way when I packed up last night.

Here's the Hubble pallette version - suffering from a bit of star bloat :D The stars were very magenta after the normal Hubble processing so I went into selective colour and killed the magenta! I think there's a better way of doing it but I haven't learnt that yet :D

post-13131-0-93282800-1373031073_thumb.p

BTW I'm thinking of rotating the camers 90 degrees for the forecast clear sky tonight - I think it will give better framing - any views on this?

Guiding is very clean tonight :) Excellent s/n most of the time. This is with OAG on the MN190, Lodestar camera and PHD with 1s image integration.

post-13131-0-19352900-1373065600_thumb.p

Thank you Agnes :) Got some last night - just been going through the subs. Disappointing in fact as we had some cloud come in soon after I went to bed (leaving it running unattended). Although that passed, the guiding was upset and wasn't able to recover :( 5m is a bit too long for unguided - maybe I'd have been better using 2 or 3m subs unguided but when I left it it was running very well with little noise in the guide camera and was looking good.

I got a mere 3 Ha, 6 OIII and 4 SII useable subs - better than nothing I guess but with a few hours of clear sky forecast, it was disappointing. Only just over an hour in total spread over about two hours.

Archived