Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroEQ for EQ mounts

Oily

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TL;DR: Now running with Skysafari.

I have installed WiFi Scope after following this post , I am able to connect to the laptop running EQAscom and use the 'slew to target' function from SkySafari.

Now the biggest challenge for me now is to install the all thing on a PI (might be mission impossible) or find a better micro computer than the PI.

Quatermass, I have installed CDC via Wine, it works well.

One of the old Aspire One netbooks might be worth a try?  I acquired my mum's when she upgraded with a view to it potentially being useful in an obsy.  I prefer the idea of using a Pi or SheevaPlug, but the netbook does at least have the advantage of a display.

James

One of the old Aspire One netbooks might be worth a try?  I acquired my mum's when she upgraded with a view to it potentially being useful in an obsy.  I prefer the idea of using a Pi or SheevaPlug, but the netbook does at least have the advantage of a display.

James

That's what I'm using right now to type this ;) and run all my Wine stuff....

I'm looking for something similar to the PI which I could run off a small battery and attached it to the mount.

I can't immediately think of anything x86-based that is smaller.  Unless it's possible to take the Aspire and repackage it into a more suitable shaped box.  I've never taken one apart, so I've really no idea what they look like inside.  The smallest Atom-based motherboards I've seen are still about 6" square.

James

I'm working on a Linux native version of the AstroEQ config utility, so you won't have to run it under wine.

I can't immediately think of anything x86-based that is smaller.  Unless it's possible to take the Aspire and repackage it into a more suitable shaped box.  I've never taken one apart, so I've really no idea what they look like inside.  The smallest Atom-based motherboards I've seen are still about 6" square.

James

I had considered trying something like this http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/1704, but never got around to ordering one - It's about the same size as the pi. The plan was to install windows on this (or debian/wine) and have it autorun EQMOD and EQMODLX and attach a wireless dongle. You could then have this little box attached to AstroEQ and use Skysafari to control it all.

I guess as I have everything working correctly on this laptop, I could just use it as it is. But I do like challenges  :grin:.

I'm going to upgrade the ram on this laptop as I only have 1GB.

One thing that I haven't managed to do yet is the Java installation under Wine.

I'm working on a Linux native version of the AstroEQ config utility, so you won't have to run it under wine.

I had considered trying something like this http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/1704, but never got around to ordering one - It's about the same size as the pi. The plan was to install windows on this (or debian/wine) and have it autorun EQMOD and EQMODLX and attach a wireless dongle. You could then have this little box attached to AstroEQ and use Skysafari to control it all.

That's rather sweet.  Could be problematic that it doesn't run anything later than WinXP from a future-proofing point of view.  I guess the limitation is the amount of memory.  I've no idea how well XP runs in 512MB RAM either.  Even on Linux 512MB doesn't see to go very far these days :(

James

One thing that I haven't managed to do yet is the Java installation under Wine.

Does the java stuff absolutely have to run in a windows environment?  Could it perhaps be rigged to run natively?

James

Does the java stuff absolutely have to run in a windows environment?  Could it perhaps be rigged to run natively?

James

To run the AstroEQ config tool, you do need to install a Java Windows version under Wine. The tool is an .exe file.

I'm nearly done installing Java, will update soon.

To run the AstroEQ config tool, you do need to install a Java Windows version under Wine. The tool is an .exe file.

I'm nearly done installing Java, will update soon.

Just in case you missed me mention it, I'm working on a Linux native version of the AstroEQ config utility, so you won't have to run it under wine. There is one last glitch that I'm trying to track down.

I don't think the existing config tool will work under Wine. It requires some stuff that isn't available in Wine by default and the path structures will likely be different.

Success on installing Java Windows under Wine to run the AstroEQ config tool.
You'll need jre-7u10-windows-i586.exe as the latest one jre-7u40-windows-i586.exe doesn't install.
however, prior to run the install it you'll need to create some folders

The Problem

A Windows directory needs to exist:

C:\Users\USERNAME\appdata\LocalLow\Sun
On your box, you have the following directory structure, most likely:

/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/users
*Replace USERNAME with your actual user name

The Solution:

Make the subdirectories

(Point and Click Method)

Open Home Folder
Open .wine
Open drive_c
Open users
Create Folder appdata
Open appdata
Create Folder LocalLow
Open LocalLow
Create Folder Sun

(Console/Terminal)

cd /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/users
mkdir -p appdata/LocalLow/Sun
*NOTE: appdata/LocalLow/Sun IS case sensitive, so type it exactly as is shown

Double click on the JRE executable (I used 32 bit, but I believe 64 bit works too. Be sure to check winehq's website and your version of Ubuntu to be sure)

Install away :)

source

I am now running the AstroEQ config tool under Wine, it works just starts.   <---EDIT

New Configuration Utility released:

Fixes:

- Configuration utility would fail to download new firmware versions. This was down to a typo in the versioning URL.

- Configuration utility would sometimes fail to read or write from EEPROM. This should now be cured.

New:

- There is now a native Linux version of the configuration utility so the Linux users amongst us can program their AstroEQ boards.

Just ordered two stepper motors Nema 17 and some pulleys. Will get the belts later on once the motor/pulleys are installed (need to buy the right belt length).

My custom build pier will be ready soon :)

• 4 weeks later...

Version 6.5 Released. Please download the new config utility as this was also updated. Download links:
Windows
Linux

Firmware Changes:

Cured glitch with PHD Guiding. Under guiding the mount would not be respond to pulses of RA axis as I had not matched a specific behaviour of the Synta mounts that EQMOD relies on for guiding.

Rewritten Acceleration and Deceleration routines as these were not behaving correctly - if the mount changed direction while it was still moving it would come to an abrupt stop and then change direction. These routines have been completely rewritten and checked.

Configuration Utility Changes:

Updated utility to make corrections to calculations of mount settings - the settings generated would be outside the capabilities of the AstroEQ controller for some mounts. This is cured.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one David, your going to love it mate. I have loads of info on it from Tom if you would like me to send it to you just pm me. I saved all our questions in a file for future reference and it would certainly help Tom out buy answering all your questions on the astroeq for you, I love my AstroEQ  :grin:

Nice one David, your going to love it mate. I have loads of info on it from Tom if you would like me to send it to you just pm me. I saved all our questions in a file for future reference and it would certainly help Tom out buy answering all your questions on the astroeq for you, I love my AstroEQ :grin:

That would be much appreciated :) I'm sure I'll be hitting a few stumbling blocks along the way so any help is welcome :) I'll pm you

Archived