Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroEQ for EQ mounts

Oily

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mark. I've watched that a couple of times now and it's the video that brought the AstroEQ to my attention.

I've also just subscribed to Chris' YouTube channel to try and learn the basics of EQMod.

I'm really excited about getting this all set up and running.

Without actual guiding, what kind of exposures is it possible to get with this setup? Previously, when just using the Dual Axis motors I'm usually restricted (due to my poor alignment) to about 20-30 secs.

Well I have not used a guiding system for a long time now pretty much all my images have been done unguided using a typical set of subs that would be say, 80 seconds long at ISO of 1600 and then stacked with 80 darks flats and bias shots. Using processing methods in Photoshop you can draw out a lot of detail if you know what your doing and I am reasonable happy with my results. I will get my guiding set up running soon just need to get myself a better guide scope but in the mean time unguided is fine for most stuff like m81 and m82. Last week I got the Thor's Helmet nebula which is most certainly one that you would be better of using a guiding set up but I like a challenge. Any thing that get you out there and enjoying our wonderful universe has got to be a good thing.

Thanks Mark. I've watched that a couple of times now and it's the video that brought the AstroEQ to my attention.

I've also just subscribed to Chris' YouTube channel to try and learn the basics of EQMod.

I'm really excited about getting this all set up and running.

Without actual guiding, what kind of exposures is it possible to get with this setup? Previously, when just using the Dual Axis motors I'm usually restricted (due to my poor alignment) to about 20-30 secs.

I've managed 120 secs Javert

Thanks QM. Just got home and mr postman has Delivered my cables so I'm good to go. I'll spend the night reading through your notes then give it a trial run tomorrow. Probably have to take up some slack in the gears, tried it before but still seems a lot there.

Wish me luck!

Ah good old Mr Postman allways nice when you have a new toy to play with.

Go here first

https://github.com/TCWORLD/AstroEQ

You will see this page go to the red outlined section and down load the zip file.

post-8732-0-98891200-1385485103_thumb.jp

Unzip it to your desk top then open this folder first and then open the open me first folder where you will find the driver.

post-8732-0-35508300-1385485349_thumb.jp

Install that first.

Then open up the config utilitity folder and run that to set up your astroeq.

if at this point you run into any problems read through the document I sent you and that will answer all your questions Im sure as they were all the questions I asked Tom while getting it up and running.

The once its set up the next bit will be getting all your settings right in eqmod and CDC star chart.

If you get stuck at any point just pm me and I will do my best to help out

Cheers and enjoy QM :grin:

Thanks.

Only got as far as downloading CdC, Ascom & Eqmod last night. Will get the files for AstroEQ later.

Got my ST4 cables today so just waiting the AstroEQ but I don't expect it till next week.

I might need to make sure I've got everything for Eqmod as it didn't seem to be working when I tried it last night. It just kept flashing on and off. I'm hoping it was just because I didn't have a telescope connected but I'm not sure. Will try it again later. First time I've used Windows 8 and I was getting a bit lost in where files were going to.

Yes it will flash on and go off if the telescope is not connected through AstroEQ. Suggest going through the basics for eqmod first. AstroEQ is easy to set up its EQmod that takes the time to get your head around I found but once you have it up and running and have learned how to use it then you will find it to be a very good system. I remember it taking me 4 hours to find one object until I had this set up, now I can find it in 5 minutes flat a great time saver when your out there and the clouds are going to limit your time. It would be worth going through the content on the eqmod page and watching the YouTube videos. Your going to have to put your telescope in the home position after you have polar aligned it and its a good idea to mark that position with some tape for the future.

Once your polar aligned and your telescope is in the home position that will be your starting point. I like to do that first then reset the parked positions for ra and dec then slew to my first target (it wont be on target after that) so you need to nudge it into position so your star is in the centre of the eye piece then hit the sync button in cdc. This will give you your first alignment point watch Chris's videos on this to learn how to do it correctly. Takes a bit of practise but once its set up normally takes me about 10 minutes then your good to go and can slew to your targets with ease.

Not a fan of windows 8 I really don't like the new tile system ok for tablets but horrible for a pc I use windows 7 and have no problems with but others love windows 8 its just personal choice at the end of the day.

Well, I'm on my way!

Confirmed an order with Tom. Just waiting for him to confirm so I can send him the payment. Have also ordered 2 ST4 cables that Quatermass recommended.

Just need to get a laptop now. I've had a quick look at some new ones (I don't mind buying new) and they're all Windows 8. Is anyone else running Windows 8 and can confirm if everything runs ok?

got my last two from here

http://www.box.co.uk/products/cat/Computing~B~Laptops~B~Laptops

I'd be interested to know how long you manage :) I'm just about to drag all the gear in the house to have a dry run in the warmth and get to grips with eqmod and setting up the motors. Should be able to tell if the motors are going the right way too. Not sure that I'll see much through the kitchen ceiling though

Well I know understand why I hate guiding so much, lots of piddling around tweaking setting and trying to get it working again but in the end it worked quite well. Was trying it out on the packman nebula and got a full 5 minute sub but still have not figured out the correct settings, I think its just a matter of tweaking a few setting in phd then trying to get my head around eqmod and pulse guiding on that but once I have all that sorted it will work well. I am going to have to save up for a qhy5 guide camera though the webcam is on the border line.

First time trying guiding with this set up so lots to figure out still all good fun though.

Found a brilliant tutorial on using PHD and EQMOD together really good check it out and read the deep dive into tutorial certainly blew away much confusion on why it was not behaving itself last night... Next step will be getting a pec correction file sorted and using that..soo much to learn

http://www.astrophotography.id.au/tutorials/

Archived