Just starting out

Hello,

I am just starting out on my star gazing journey having always been interested in Astronomy but never actually taking the plunge. I read many reviews about a good starter scope and decided to go for the SkyWatcher Heritage 130p mainly becasue of it's portability and 130mm primary mirror, which seemed a good size for the price. Unfortuantely the weather has been terrible since my telescope arrived, so i haven't actually managed to get outside and start looking around.

Before I've even started I do have a few areas that I would appreciate input on -

- Collimating seems quite daunting and any advice would be weclome. I have only just got my telescope out of the box this week so I don't think it will need any collimation yet. Although some of the holder srews were loose.

- Star maps: Any pointers for good start maps or iphone apps would be weclome. I'm especially keen on looking at planets.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to being part of the community.

I'm a recent starter as well, and once I had got used to the scope for a couple of days I followed Astro Baby's collimating guide ( http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm ) which helped me improve the views I was getting a whole load.

I use Stellarium on the PC (free) and iPad/iPhone (paid), and am finding it very useful.

C.

Hi mate ,

I knew nothing when I started, the best resource by far you have already found ( SGL) I use stellarium on my PC, and turn left at Orion is a very useful book ( its written in easy speak lol) so even I can understand it ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The 130p is a good starter scope and should be able to show you many of the popular astro targets. :smiley: I would not assume that your scope is properly collimated and check it in daylight first; the view will be disappointing unless it’s set up accurately. It’s also useful to set up the finder during the day. Star maps and software programs like Stellarium are a great resource but it’s useful if you have a basic knowledge of the sky and can recognise a few of the bigger Constellations, you can then use these as a starting point for finding other objects. Your local amount of light pollution will also affect how easy it is to find and see things, obviously the more stars you can see the better. You might find it helpful If you buy one of the astro mags, with a monthly sky map, showing what's up and where. :smiley:

I don't know if I've just been lucky, but my Skywatcher 'scope has stayed in excellent collimation since it fell off the boat from China!

Even so, I twiddle it out of collimation and then back again on a reasonably regular occurrence just to make sure.

I've never tried taking everything apart and collimating from scratch yet, because there's not been the need.

Anyway, where am I getting to with this rather long winded ramble?

Just that you don't need to be daunted by the process.

As long as you take it step by step and take your time to begin with, it's not a problem.

As Chuggs has already mentioned, Astrobaby's guide is a very good place to start.

But having said that, if it doesn't need collimating, then just leave it be to begin with! :grin:

Cheers

For collimation, get yourself a Cheshire Collimator (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html), and you will need a set of Allen Keys if you don't already have one. I wouldn't worry about collimation just yet though, and when you get round to it it's really very easy to do. Just make sure the scope is horizontal so nothing can fall anywhere it shouldn't :)

i know how you feel, i just started myself and the same have been wanting to get into this for sometime, i'm having the same issue with weather.

i recommend pocket universe: Virtual sky for iPhone and iPad its really amazing and very simple to use. https://itunes.apple...d306916838?mt=8

Thanks for the link....Just downloaded this and been doing the various quizzes. Nice App.

Steve

Hi and welcome. It was not that long ago I was in the same position but the learning is half the fun. As an app for me I'd suggest Sky Safari. Free app for the I phone or pad and a great piece of kit to get you started. Collimation just sounds daunting but really it is quite straight forward once you get it out of the box. There are also many You Tube videos that will demonstrate how it's done. Anyway good luck and have fun :smiley:

Regards

Karl

My 130p was perfectly collimated out of the box, if that helps. But what Naemeth said - Cheshire. I got a laser first (on offer tho), but the Cheshire is generally more useful.

I use Skysafari Pro - I find it much more useful than Starwalk. Also consider:

Scope nights - astronomy forecast, seems moderately accurate, and easy to check.

SaturnMoon/JupiterMoon apps - shows the moon positions around the planet. Though Jupiter is awkward at the moment.

Moon Globe - exactly what it sounds like.

I'd say +1 for Turn Left at Orion too.

And welcome to the Heritage 130 Mafia...

My 130p was perfectly collimated out of the box, if that helps. But what Naemeth said - Cheshire. I got a laser first (on offer tho), but the Cheshire is generally more useful.

I use Skysafari Pro - I find it much more useful than Starwalk. Also consider:

Scope nights - astronomy forecast, seems moderately accurate, and easy to check.

SaturnMoon/JupiterMoon apps - shows the moon positions around the planet. Though Jupiter is awkward at the moment.

Moon Globe - exactly what it sounds like.

I'd say +1 for Turn Left at Orion too.

And welcome to the Heritage 130 Mafia...

Liking the sound of the Heritage 130 mafia!

You'll notice a pattern:

"I'm just starting..."

Get a Heritage 130 cos they're cheap and simple.

"I'm looking for a grab and go"

Get a heritage 130 cos they're portable.

"I want a 14-inch dob"

You'll never use it. Get a heritage 130 instead.

...and so on. Although apparently there are things called refractors, but none of us know what that means...

Seriously, mine is my first scope, and I've seen some awesome stuff over the last 6 months.

Oh, I meant to mention - I use the book 'Objects in the heavens' as my star charts/log of the things I've seen. I've not compared it with others, but it seems good.

Y'know, part of me wishes I'd gone for the Heritage 130. The things that put me off were the collimation, the fact it's a table-top mount and just how portable it is. My refractor is wonderful and can be carted down to the park quite happily, even when fully constructed, but I do wonder how easy the Heritage might be to carry. I'm thinking of upgrading or even buying a new 'scope next year and the Heritage is one of the ones I'm considering...

DD

Hey DD

Well... I sit next to mine on a folding chair and use it from the ground, if than helps. It's awkward aiming near zenith, but mostly it works well. It's a little bulky, but I can walk a long way with it without much hassle (though chair, eyepiece case, and books all starts to get bulky).

Collimation - pretty simple as long as you don't have to move the secondary much. If you have to reposition it - well, I found that very hard. It seems to hold collimation well, though - mine was perfect out of the box until I messed it up.

All that said, if upgrading, and space wasn't an issue, well, would you consider going larger? I'd like more aperture (and a garage to store it in!)

I must admit I did toy with the idea of getting one when I bought my ST80 - it would certainly be handy for trotting down to the park of an evening for a quick session and there are a few benches dotted around. Maybe I will join the Heritage 130 club at some point - I'd love to upgrade to a full-on 8 or 10 inch dobsonian, but I guess the only way I could get one of those down there would be to wear it as a hat. I get strange enough looks as it is...

DD

Welcome! I agree with a lot of other people. I bought "Turn Left at Orion" and it is well worth it. It provides seasonal and hemisphere based listings and directions for a gamut of object to set your sights to. I also have "Nightwatch" by Terence Dickinson, but that is more of a coffee table kind of book.

Otherwise, keep to it and start simple.

Clear skies!

Buy yourself a copy of 'The Backyard Astronomers Guide' (3rd edition) by Dickinson and Dyer. It's an invaluable book for any astronomer, new-comer or old lag. It's written by two of the best astronomical writers and reviewers around. It's a superbly illustrated book and is the best book around on equipment and different aspects of observing. You wont regret buying it - I promise!

Archived