Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging setup taking shape...

markcol

Just set up my refractors piggybacked as I prepare to go guided for the first time.

Hoping to use a QHY5 guidecam and PHD, if it's OK I'll then have a go at a similar setup on the SCT.

I realise I've got away lightly so far with an unguided DSLR setup....just hope I don't trip over all the wires! :?

Cheers

Mark

Hi KK

Yeah, the little ZS66 gives it a bit of bling with the gold cap and knobs, I thought (not that I'm into 'bling' really).

It's all sourced from UK Astro B&S actually! I hope it works too...

Cheers

Mark

Thanks guys, I hope I'll be able to suss it all out, I'm trying to get all sorted in time to have a real go at M42.

Cheers Dave, PHD appears to be pretty straightforward, at least it had no problem picking up the ToUcam and Ascom drivers when I tried it out earlier.

Hope we all get some clear skies once the moon gets out of the way....

Mark

Looks sweet and ready to go Mark. Here's my tips re all the wires. Get everything set up in daylight - computer, camera, all the wires. Balance the scope with all the imaging stuff in place. Mark out the position of the scopes with a tipex pen so that you can quickly achieve a decent balance next time. Tape all the wires together. Bring all the wires together (including dew strap wires) and tape them to the mount just above the counter weight shaft. Leave them taped to the mount on strip down.

When you set up again all the wires will be in place and you can set up in a trice. Having them all taped to the mount greatly reduces risk of cord wrap and also, by removing the weight of all that wire from the end of the scopes, ensures that balance doesn't fluctuate with the position of the scope. The wires aren't trailing all over the place so much safer.

Sorry if you've already done all this but it took a while for the light to dawn for me.

2534_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Many thanks for that Martin! -I think I've been 'outblingged' that FLT110 is gorgeous! (Not to mention the EM200) Yes I was doing a bit of a 'dry run' .

The pic showing the cable routing is really helpful and now resides in my reference folder of mounts and setups, I expect my heart will be in my mouth everytime the rig does a flip until I'm sure I've got it all safe and tidy...

Is your guidecam 'barlowed' on your parallel setup, I was wondering if it might be an idea especially when I guide the SCT.

Thanks again

Mark

Ah, the FLT 110, sadly not mine - it's on loan from Steve.

It's an extender in the ZS66 not a barlow, needed to focus the guide camera. I use Maxim for guiding - it is superb at handling sub pixel guide errors. With a decent guide star and reasonable seeing my RMS guide error comes down to 0.06-0.08 pixels. The SXV guidehead and ZS66 comes out at around 6 arc secs per pixel the RMS guiding accuracy is sub 1/2 arc second. This must be seeing rather than equipment limited. I think it all depends on your set up but I'm hoping to be able to guide a 10" LX200R with the ZS66.

Looks to be a very neat and compact team Mark. If it performs as good as it looks, there are more SGLPOTW heading your way.

Those little ZS66 Scopes look mighty fine, but seem to be a rarity on Buy & Sell forums unfortunately, I was hoping to fill a blank space on my Xmas prezzie desire list. :(

Again, a real nice setup.

Ron. :D

Archived