NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

veil nebula

firstscope

It can be a tricky one depending on sky conditions. It is much better in a low power, wide field instrument where you can fit the entire loop in the field in one go, such as small fast refractor. The view is enhanced considerably with a UHC filter if you have one available. In fact, from a dark sky site, you can see the Veil just by holding a UHC in front of your eye.

I've seen the Veil (the brighter Eastern segment) with 15x70 binoculars (unfiltered) on an exceptionally good night last year. It's one of those objects that benefits hugely from a UHC or O-III filter though - very often it can't be seen at all without. My favourite summer sight is the Veil with my 4" F/6.5 refractor, an O-III filter and the 31mm Nagler eyepiece. This combination enables me to see nearly 4 degrees of sky and that's enough to fit both sides of the Veil Nebula in the same field of view. On dark nights the fainter Pickerings Wisp which lies between the E & W segments (AKA the Bridal Veil and the Witches Broom respectively) is also visible. A wonderful sight :grin:

I've seen the veil but once. It was at Kelling a couple of years or so ago. Linton Guise who's a member on SGL was at the meet with his 20" Obsession Dobsonian, and we paid his site a visit on late evening.

I climbed the ladder to the eyepiece to view the object, and I had to rub my eyes to make sure what I was seeing was real.

A sight to behold in that huge light grasping telescope, simply magnificent. Similar views of M13 Hercules Globular cluster, M27 Dumbell Nebula, just astonished me.

If you guys ever get the opportunity to peer through a really large instrument, grab the chance. You'll have a memory that will last your lifetime.

Ron.

Archived