Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun - 01 Jun 2013

David Smith

Guys, I'm not a Sun fan...but looking at your photos, I just go...WOW!!! There might be more magic to the sun than I think. I'm now sorely tempted :)

OK, here come the ignorant questions.

Do you necessarily need a dedicate solar telescope or you can simply get a solar filter?

Does the size of telescope matter in terms of details and magnifications?

In nutshell, where do you start?

Thanks!!

Guys, I'm not a Sun fan...but looking at your photos, I just go...WOW!!! There might be more magic to the sun than I think. I'm now sorely tempted :)

OK, here come the ignorant questions.

Do you necessarily need a dedicate solar telescope or you can simply get a solar filter?

Does the size of telescope matter in terms of details and magnifications?

In nutshell, where do you start?

Thanks!!

No you don't need a dedicated solar scope. I bought my 80mm achro scope for the purpose but it gets used for grab n go as well occasionally. You can just add a filter, either home-made or off-the-shelf. This will show you the Sun spots and faculae and is what I have used to create the image above (what's called white light). If you want to see prominences and flares and things then yes, you need a dedicated H alpha scope and things get a bit more expensive (as an example).

It looks fairly quiet in your pic David, but I assure you, its not. Great views here at the mo. Just off out to get some piccies.

I assume you are off out with your Lunt monster Allan! Just heading out for a look with the PST now myself.

I assume you are off out with your Lunt monster Allan! Just heading out for a look with the PST now myself.

Oh yes. First the lunt, then the lunt/pst double stack mod, to see if it works, then the lunt monster, then if the gods are with me.............the lunt monster plus pst for a test of monster double stacking.. :grin:

Archived