Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios apollo 15x70 question

Having just taken receipt of a pair of these binoculars I immediately opened and tested them I have 2 problems I would like advice on..

Firstly the 2 image circles fail to merge until the ipd is set to the very closest possible. Even then they only just merge together and they may not be perfect.

2nd and more worrying is a white image appearing at the bottom of the image. I'm no expert but it feels like internal reflections or possibly stray light.

I tested in daylight handheld so this is by no means definitive test but based on past experience with a pair of revelation 20x80 binoculars these problems didnt exist even handheld.

One last problem but is big deal is that the box has two security latches and one of the keys holes has fel inside the mechanism so cant be used for security.

any thoughts would be appreciated and i will post back later when i mount them on a tripod and look at stars and DSOs.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2nd and more worrying is a white image appearing at the bottom of the image. I'm no expert but it feels like internal reflections or possibly stray light.
This is the second time someone has reported this in a few days. I wonder if it's a bad batch or if they've changed the design (I don't have that problem in mine). However, the reason is irrelevant: if you're not happy with it, send it back.

Tab on Tapatalk

Asro noob, I have just bought a pair and like you the binoculars exhibit the same white flare at the bottom of the image. I was really looking forward to getting these binoculars but was really disappointed with the result. Thankfully I bought from FLO so I am in good hands. The box was also extremely flimsy and was marked and some little dents also. Steve

Asro noob, I have just bought a pair and like you the binoculars exhibit the same white flare at the bottom of the image. I was really looking forward to getting these binoculars but was really disappointed with the result. Thankfully I bought from FLO so I am in good hands. The box was also extremely flimsy and was marked and some little dents also. Steve

Hi Steve

How you doing?.....I have the TS version of these and they are great bins, these must be a dodgy batch, at least you know FLO will get it sorted. I don't know if they come via FLO or straight from the importers, that might explain why they slipped through.

The 9.25 is still going strong, didn't get out much last winter due to the appalling weather, just looking forward to getting it to a proper dark site up here.

If you're using the 15x70s for astro, the monopod and trigger grip work well with a bit of practice.

Hope it's sorted soon.

Cheers mate

Duncan

Hi Duncan, nice to hear from you. Glad your happy with the scope and next time your in England give me a call and we can meet up for a beer. The bins were really strange I cant put my finger on it but I should be able to view with no problem, at first I thought maybe wearing specs might have been the problem but even without specs it was still the same. I bought a monopod and the trigger grip that Stephen Tonkin advised so all I need is a pair of good bins to put on the head. Like you said buying from FLO I am not worried because of their reputation and good customer service. I still use the other Quantum 6,3 binoculars but I wanted a grab and go pair so hopefully FLO can locate some different pair. Regards Steve. PS I think they came straight from the supplier but not too sure.

Thankfully I bought from FLO so I am in good hands.

Indeed you are :smiley:

Astro-noob, durr, if you haven't already done so please contact us to arrange collection.

The box was also extremely flimsy and was marked and some little dents also. Steve

That doesn't sound good. In most instances Helios Apollo binoculars are dispatched from our unit here in Exeter but the 15x70 has only just become available again and is selling like hot cakes so we have been drop-shipping some direct to customers from the UK importer's warehouse to save time. But either way we don't normally open and check Apollos because we don't normally experience problems with them. But, the white ghosting is a concern so I'll change our website's product listing to show 'unavailable' until we have collected and checked the binoculars discussed in this thread.

... the 2 image circles fail to merge until the ipd is set to the very closest possible. Even then they only just merge together and they may not be perfect.

Unfortunately if a binocular's inter-pupillary-distance doesn't match your eye pupil distance then it isn't suitable for you. Sorry.

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

... the white ghosting is a concern so I'll change our website's product listing to show 'unavailable' until we have collected and checked the binoculars discussed in this thread.

Done :angel:

But, the white ghosting is a concern so I'll change our website's product listing to show 'unavailable' until we have collected and checked the binoculars discussed in this thread.
I (and, I imagine, others) would be very curious to know what the issue is. I've been recommending this binocular (based on my experience with mine) to anyone who will listen and am dead keen to know if it's a few with quirks, a dodgy batch, or a dodgy redesign. (& sorry, Stephen & Astro_noob -- I think you both came into the "anyone who will listen" category!)

Is there any binocular design useful for astronomy that can accomodate people who have close set eyes like myself?

The issue is often eyepiece barrel diameter -- you need one whose diameter is less than your interpupillary distance by slightly more than half the width of the bridge of your nose between your pupils. Older style porros often fit the bill and can be obtained relatively cheaply. However, the only older style 70mm porro I know of is not cheap and doesn't have particularly small eyepiece barrels. You may be better off with something like a Tento 20x60 -- they come up 2nd hand occasionally and are pretty good for the price they tend to go for. Alternatively, some of the 1990s Russian 80mm binocs might also work for you -- tend to be robust!

Steve, I would never blame you for such a thing, I had made up my mind a while back and took your advice, which was and still is valid. It maybe that both asto-noob and my self are not suited to these binoculars for some reason or maybe just a bad pair or two sneaked through. I hope that I got a bad pair so that I can receive a new pair and enjoy these binoculars like everyone else seems to do.Hundreds of others who bought these binoculars are amazed at the quality. Steve

I (and, I imagine, others) would be very curious to know what the issue is. I've been recommending this binocular (based on my experience with mine) to anyone who will listen...

Me too :smiley:

The Helios Apollo series are benchmarks at their price and, until now, have been exceptionally reliable and dependable batch-to-batch.

...and am dead keen to know if it's a few with quirks, a dodgy batch, or a dodgy redesign.

I have spent three decades working with and around binoculars, if they are faulty I will know as soon as we have them here to test. And if it is a redesign then I'll happily send you one to compare and assess.

HTH,

Steve

I wanted to order some Helios Apollo 15X70MM Binoculars this week and was disappointed to hear what has happened to 2 people that had bought them but I hope the problem gets rectified and would like to ask if the problem has been rectified and are all the stock of Helios Apollo 15x70MM binoculars suffering from the same thing but I would like to still go ahead to order some when they have been given the all clear. Love FLO and have always ordered from them and they have always given a first class service and have always dealt with Martin and Steve and will always continue to order from FLO. :)

Matt2011, I think you can order from FLO because now they know there might be a problem, faulty binoculars will not be sent out. Steve

We have collected the binoculars and checked them. Both are faulty exactly as described in this thread, they also have a violet colour fringe when observing a bright target in the upper half of the field-of-view. Unfortunately the binoculars here on our shelves are the same so it appears to be a batch problem. We have removed the option to purchase Apollo 15x70 binoculars from our website. We will make them available again when we have received and checked stock from another batch.

We shall phone everyone who is affected to arrange collection/refund but if you are reading this and have received a Helios Apollo 15x70 binocular from us between 22nd - 29th May, please contact us.

The Helios Apollo 15x70 is (normally) the gold standard at it's price so if you have Googled your way to this thread please don't be concerned. This post applies only to those who received binoculars between the dates above.

If you purchased an Apollo 15x70 from another retailer (heaven forbid) and are concerned then please contact your supplier for advice :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

I (and, I imagine, others) would be very curious to know what the issue is. I've been recommending this binocular (based on my experience with mine) to anyone who will listen and am dead keen to know if it's a few with quirks, a dodgy batch, or a dodgy redesign. (& sorry, Stephen & Astro_noob -- I think you both came into the "anyone who will listen" category!)

The issue is often eyepiece barrel diameter -- you need one whose diameter is less than your interpupillary distance by slightly more than half the width of the bridge of your nose between your pupils. Older style porros often fit the bill and can be obtained relatively cheaply. However, the only older style 70mm porro I know of is not cheap and doesn't have particularly small eyepiece barrels. You may be better off with something like a Tento 20x60 -- they come up 2nd hand occasionally and are pretty good for the price they tend to go for. Alternatively, some of the 1990s Russian 80mm binocs might also work for you -- tend to be robust!

I don't know if I like idea of going second hand again having bought a couple of 2nd hand binoculars in the past that turned out to have fungal growth internally.

I have a pair of action extreme 7x35 that I have no problems with so I will stick with these for now. Maybe I should give up on binoculars in the larger sizes now and go down the route of a quality scope. That conversations for a new thread on another channel.

Thanks for testing the binoculars Steve and I hope you can get another batch in soon to replace these. I'm very glad I chose to purchase the binoculars from you steve. Another vendor may not have been so understanding.

Thank-you chaps :icon_salut:

Any ideas when we can expect a replacement? Regards Steve

I don't yet know because I haven't discussed this with the UK importer. Today was the first opportunity I had to test the returns and compare our stock. I guess it depends on how many are affected and whether there are any unaffected units here in the UK. I'll chat with them tomorrow :smiley:

Steve

Thanks durr, I spoke to Steve at FLO and he is going to get back to me when the problem with the Helios 15x70mm Apollo Binoculars have been sorted and he will get back to me as soon as and really am looking forward to getting a pair of these. @ Steve from FLO could you let me know on here by email when I can go ahead and order some when they all have been checked and also as a Skywatcher 127mm Skymax owner was thinking of buying a Skywatcher Dobsonian and was thinking of going for Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX and how good is this scope for deep sky and would this scope show better images of the planets and the moon than my Skywatcher 127mm Maksutov. Thanks Matt :cool:

I have phoned/emailed everyone who might be affected but have not found another faulty binocular. To be fair around half haven't tested their binocular yet or have not responded to my message so we might uncover some more. This suggests it isn't a batch problem, it is probably confined to only a handful that were not assembled correctly. We will source more Apollo 15x70 then, when I am confident the problem is behind us, will make them available to order again at our website. I will also personally check every one prior to dispatch. Promise :smiley:

Hope that helps,

Steve

Archived