Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ic 443 The Jellyfish neb

shifter

This is only the second attempt at using Ha, I think I need to up the exposure time at least x2. I don't know whether having the moon around did any harm to it but it seems noisy to me. I'd be very grateful for any advice about imaging using this method.

.....Brian.....

Subs, 10x300 sec @ iso 800 and 3x600 sec @ iso 800

Image scope LXD55 SN10 on an EQ-6 Pro

Guide scope ED80-Pro and Toucam Pro

Camera Canon 350d + Ha filter

Stacked with Maxim dl

Proc with PS CS2 and Noel's actions

2447_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It could do with a few more subs Brian, to improve the SNR, but its a pretty good result anyway.

The full Moon does 'wash' the sky out, and can sometimes make the sky background brighter, than the object you are trying to image.

Dave

Good go at the one Brian ,thats my next one to do actually , yup , dont even bother to try this one with the moon around , it is very faint at the lower end of the neb, the top part is pretty easy ,and tends to over expose.

But this can be dealt with DDP.

wait till the moon goes again and you will find a huge difference ,

thats why you have the noise in the image , pesky moon lol .

Rog

Very impressive Brian. Your DSLR has performed very well. You have a nice fast scope and that has helped you get a load of detail as Ian says. Most people would be highly satisfied with that image so it's great to see you looking to move it up a notch. Ha imaging does need much longer exposures. I work on a bare minimum of 2 hours. I might be having a look at this and if I do I will be looking at 4 hours worth of 15-20 min subs - and that's with a super sensitive, low noise SXV H9.

Good attempt , Brian.

I have only done a couple of Ha exposures. Fairly quickly I realised ( Martin probably said this ) that long exposures with a least 8 to 15min subs are needed. I now have three narrow band filters and intend to have a go at IC 443 tonight , if the clouds stay away , and see what the results are like especially as the moon will be in the sky.

John

Well Brian, this isn't supposed to work with a DSLR as you only get light on 1/4 of the pixels because of the Ha filter. Then you have to contend with the internal IR blocking filter as your camera is unmodded, so what you got is ace.

Its a shame that there isn't a 3 band filter for use with DSLRs, you could do the OIII and Si all at the same time as the Ha then.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived