Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeamViewer or Remote Desktop

Gina

When I was using the netbook in the obsy running XP SP3 and desktop in lounge running Win 7 Pro 64bit I was using TeamViewer reasonably successfully. Unfortunately the netbook wasn't really up to running TV and all the imaging/guiding software and even with minimal software running the netbook barely coped so I've bought a laptop with 4GB RAM instead of 1GB and faster processor - running Win 7 Home. Now I'm wondering if MS Remote Desktop would work and whether it would be better than TeamViewer. OK, I know I can try both but would be glad of opinions rather than waste time messing about :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Teamviewer. I find remote desktop troublesome unless you're using the exact same OS. I couldn't get it to work between windows 7 ultimate and home editions. Nor windows 7 64 bit and Vista 32 bit.

Teamviewer has been excellent. One word of advice though, when copying your image files from the netbook to the lounge PC dont use the file transfer option. Simple drag and drop seems 'a lot' faster.

The thing I like about Teamviewer is its cross platform capability. Works great with the netbook (even better now I've upped memory to 2gig & put an SSD in it) & the Macs.

Thank you :) I've yet to get it working on my Macbook but I'll give it a try - could be useful. I also run Linux boxes and it's useful for those too.

I use Teamviewer. I find remote desktop troublesome unless you're using the exact same OS. I couldn't get it to work between windows 7 ultimate and home editions. Nor windows 7 64 bit and Vista 32 bit.

Teamviewer has been excellent. One word of advice though, when copying your image files from the netbook to the lounge PC dont use the file transfer option. Simple drag and drop seems 'a lot' faster.

I've tried remote desktop in the past and never got it to work. Thanks for the tip on file transfer - I've been using the file transfer option. I have wondered if direct drag-n-drop would work but not actually tried it.

Remote Desktop works fine for me. Observatory PC is an old HP530 running Vista, PC in the lounge runs Win 7 pro 64 bit. TeamViewer or VNC is fine for support use where you want the user to view what you are doing etc without the user being logged out, but when you want to simply take control as per our situations, then logging the remote PC out doesn't matter.

Thank you :) I've yet to get it working on my Macbook but I'll give it a try - could be useful. I also run Linux boxes and it's useful for those too.

Forgot to mention I also keep an eye on my imaging session via their iPhone app too.. Very handy.

Remote Desktop works fine for me. Observatory PC is an old HP530 running Vista, PC in the lounge runs Win 7 pro 64 bit. TeamViewer or VNC is fine for support use where you want the user to view what you are doing etc without the user being logged out, but when you want to simply take control as per our situations, then logging the remote PC out doesn't matter.

Thanks Malcolm :)

Thanks Malcolm :)

Using Teamviewer involves going through their servers whereas if you use one of the flavours of VNC it's all kept within your own network.

Yes, that's a point - probably slows it down :(

When I was using the netbook in the obsy running XP SP3 and desktop in lounge running Win 7 Pro 64bit I was using TeamViewer reasonably successfully. Unfortunately the netbook wasn't really up to running TV and all the imaging/guiding software and even with minimal software running the netbook barely coped so I've bought a laptop with 4GB RAM instead of 1GB and faster processor - running Win 7 Home. Now I'm wondering if MS Remote Desktop would work and whether it would be better than TeamViewer. OK, I know I can try both but would be glad of opinions rather than waste time messing about :D

Windows 7 Home won't allow Remote Desktop connections from other machines although it can connect to other machines using Remote Desktop.

Windows 7 Home won't allow Remote Desktop connections from other machines although it can connect to other machines using Remote Desktop.

Well I spent ages messing around trying to get a new Win7 Home Premium laptop to connect via Remote Desktop to my XP Pro Obsy' laptop after my other XP Pro laptop died.

Never got it to work despite lot's of help and advice from PC Forums. Worked fine on two XP Pro machines.

Teamviewer worked first and everytime.

Will try VNC when I've got some more time to waste.

Dave

Well I spent ages messing around trying to get a new Win7 Home Premium laptop to connect via Remote Desktop to my XP Pro Obsy' laptop after my other XP Pro laptop died.

Never got it to work despite lot's of help and advice from PC Forums. Worked fine on two XP Pro machines.

Teamviewer worked first and everytime.

Will try VNC when I've got some more time to waste.

Dave

Yes, I though it was something like that - you need the Pro version to allow access. I might try VNC like you when I have more time to waste :D

I just gave VNC a try (tightVNC). It worked but seemed much more 'laggier' than teamviewer despite optimised settings on local network. I then tested it on a large file transfer. It took over 1.5 hours to transfer a 4 Gb file. That's surprisingly slow with teamviewer taking less than a 1/3 of that time to grab the same file. I also compared the 2 on a transfer containing many smaller files as this is more realistic and HDDs handle the writing of small files and large files differently. tVNC took 25 minutes to download a folder with 1 gig of images compared with teamviewers 7.5 minutes. In summary (with my setup) the remote desktop responds better and files download much faster using teamviewer. One other drawback of tightVNC is the lack of drag and drop functionality.

I just gave VNC a try (tightVNC). It worked but seemed much more 'laggier' than teamviewer despite optimised settings on local network. I then tested it on a large file transfer. It took over 1.5 hours to transfer a 4 Gb file. That's surprisingly slow with teamviewer taking less than a 1/3 of that time to grab the same file. I also compared the 2 on a transfer containing many smaller files as this is more realistic and HDDs handle the writing of small files and large files differently. tVNC took 25 minutes to download a folder with 1 gig of images compared with teamviewers 7.5 minutes. In summary (with my setup) the remote desktop responds better and files download much faster using teamviewer. One other drawback of tightVNC is the lack of drag and drop functionality.

Thank you - that's very interesting :) Probably won't bother then and stick with TeamViewer.

The problem with a lot of these packages is that they don't use a local connection, both machines connect via the support software on a remote server via the web. This can make file transfers slow, and remote screen draws lag.

For win7 home users there are "patches" which include the missing services for RDC, but how limited these are I have no idea. An example is described here http://blog.jordanhopfner.com/2012/01/09/enable-remote-desktop-connection-on-windows-7-home-premium-sp1/

Teamviewer doesn't have to go through their servers it can be setup to work on the local network...

It's easier if you use Static IP addresses for the devices so you don't have to keep looking them up...

So it takes a bit of fiddling with your Router/DHCP Server but it's worth it... but use their servers if you don't know what your doing or just want a relatively painless connection...

Peter...

I think it clear that Teamviewer essentially clobbers Notebook performance - For my Samsung NC10: 60% "CPU", for a start? Maybe such problems are immediately resolved by minimalist DUAL core machines though. My (limited) 2.5GHz Dual processor Celeron, Desktop has no problems linking the other way...

Useful discussion - That NO idea be rejected, re. remote control, is great! Personally, I still think it "wasteful" to have a significantly performing Laptop tied up in a (relatively hostile) observatory environment. <G> I have had some success with direct USB cabling recently. Not perfect, I am first to admit. There is the "scalability" problem. Industrial strength USB Hubs notwithstanding... Noone want to have one cable per device! :p

The VIDEO astrononomers solution is perhaps easier - I only need a 75 Ohm Coax to transfer my live data! On the other hand, remote camera control is a challenge - Even with the latest cameras. I'm now contemplating connecting my Watec 120N+ control box via TWO 30m CAT6 cables (There is some evidence that this works!). Anyway £200 per (multiple) 10m 16-way cable or a "custom" £800 WiFi controler is WAY out of the question. :)

Aside: If nothing else, one ends up with an quasi-encyclopaedic knowlege of... standards... Cat5... Cat6. LOL. For this particular problem, I am resorting to plain old "header" connections, breakout PCBs soldered to RJ45 sockets. Unmodified Cat6 to do the cabling. Even *experts* seem to have trouble crimping Cat6 cables... ;)

P.S. Sorry for the "hardware diversion" - Often intimately connected (sic) to software expertise here though!

This is how mine configured. I only remember installing full version but not additional module.

Same here... I haven't been updating Teamviewer so they might have (although I would be surprised) removed the LAN only functionality from the free version...

Peter...

Archived