Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Registax

Sometimes Registax can be fussy about the codecs it will recognise, so if you run intro problems reading avi files VirtualDub can help by converting to a format it will read, but if you stick to formats such as YUY2 or RGB24 (I think) you shouldn't have a problem. If you're preprocessing with PIPP then it might well sort out codec problems too.

Registax v5.1 vs Registax v6 is a regular point of discussion. Some people prefer v5.1, but v6 isn't that hard to use really (it's perhaps more awkward if you're used to 5.1). My experience is that v6 produces better results than v5.1 when it produces good results. Unfortunately it's less reliable than v5.1 which will usually produce at least an ok result even if the capture data is a bit rough.

All that said, for planetary imaging I use AutoStakkert!2 for the stacking rather than Registax now.

James

A few words about video codecs for planetary imaging since I think these are often misunderstood.

PIPP will accept most video formats and convert them to the AVIs using the standard raw (DIB) codec. If you cannot play these AVIs in Windows Media Player, or RegiStax does not recognise them, then your system is missing this basic codec. This is actually quite common.

The simplest way I have found to fix this is to install the K-Lite codec pack, though be careful when installing as many of the installers found on the internet offer to install toolbars and other rubbish that you probably do no want on your system.

Another option if you convert you videos with PIPP (or capture your AVIs with the latest version of Firecapture), is to create AVIs using the Ut Video codec. This is a codec that uses lossless compression so your AVI files will be between 50% and 25% the size of a raw AVI file with no loss of data quality. If you use this codec for your AVIs you will want to install the Ut video Windows codec from here:

http://umezawa.dyndn...rchive/utvideo/ (I have currently have utvideo-12.2.0-win.exe installed).

Once you have this codec installed Windows Media Player can play these compressed AVIs and RegisStax can process them. The latest versions of AutoStakkert!2 with ffmpeg can also process Ut video codec AVI files directly.

Cheers,

Chris

I use both AutoStakkert!2 for stacking and Registax 6 for the wavelets and Regi 6 on its own. For Saturn and Jupiter AS2+Regi often produces better results than Regi alone, but for the Moon I just use Regi. Also did a recent test with AS saving files as both TIF and PNG, then used the same wavelet scheme in Regi and compared the results - no discernible difference.

I did originally follow the crowd over to AS!2 for all my planetary imaging, but recently did some tests and found that RegiStax 6 produced better images with more detail some of the time. This seemed to be especially true when using WinJUPOS to derotate multiple stacked images. So now I tend to do a process in both AS!2 and RegiStax 6 to see which comes out better. I think it is good to have two great planetary stacking programs available to us.

For stacking lunar/solar DSLR images it is straight to RegiStax 6 for me, AS!2 seems to really struggle with these.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived