Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shooting Star!

Yesterday night (Monday), I was looking randomly at the stars. All of a sudden I saw a shooting star. It didn't stay in the telescope's view very long (20mm eyepiece) and by the time I looked up at the night sky (unaided by the telescope) it was gone. Is this a common occurrence? Are there portions of the sky where this happens more frequently? I was looking Northwest at about 10:15 PM - EST.

Ron

The same happened to me about a week ago!

There's a chart on german Wikipedia how much hits us each day:

5 metric tons of shooting stars (-4 to +6 magnitude; 1mm-10mm, 2mg-2g)- so 5 million would be a number. Plus the smaller, darker ones that are still visible in a telescope ("telescopic meteors" 20t, micro meteors 1000-10.000t!).

The english article states "Millions of meteors occur in the Earth's atmosphere daily. Most meteoroids that cause meteors are about the size of a pebble. Meteors may occur in showers, which arise when the Earth passes through a stream of debris left by a comet, or as "random" or "sporadic" meteors, not associated with a specific stream of space debris"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoroid#Meteor

There are many if earth crosses a comet's path;

Popular events such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids will be a shooting star firework :-)

You'll find that because you are now paying attention to the sky more, you will notice alot more of these. On my second night observing I counted 5 Meteors and a fireball i the space of 30 mins. The sky is alot busier than people think :)

Could have been a satellite , look up iridium flares - there is a website that will tell you when these occur but I haven't got it bookmarked on this pc , as Mattscar says , you will see quite a few of these , I've also seen 3 fireballs in a year though 2 were on 1 night. The ISS is another to look out for .

There is a minor shower in Cephius at the moment, says about 8 an hour, so if you were looking towards that it could have been one.

There is a list of meteor showers in Wikipedia, chcl the date and if we are due one then you should see a few "coming" from that constellation, that therefore would be the best chance of seeing one in a scope.

For meteors it is often best just to sit back and look at the constellation, even binoculars would most likely be too narrow a field of view.

The same happened to me about a week ago!

There's a chart on german Wikipedia how much hits us each day:

5 metric tons of shooting stars (-4 to +6 magnitude; 1mm-10mm, 2mg-2g)- so 5 million would be a number. Plus the smaller, darker ones that are still visible in a telescope ("telescopic meteors" 20t, micro meteors 1000-10.000t!).

The english article states "Millions of meteors occur in the Earth's atmosphere daily. Most meteoroids that cause meteors are about the size of a pebble. Meteors may occur in showers, which arise when the Earth passes through a stream of debris left by a comet, or as "random" or "sporadic" meteors, not associated with a specific stream of space debris"

http://en.wikipedia....eteoroid#Meteor

There are many if earth crosses a comet's path;

Popular events such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perseids will be a shooting star firework :-)

Thank you. Your sites were really good. There's a lot of activity that I never realized. Thanks again. Ron

You'll find that because you are now paying attention to the sky more, you will notice alot more of these. On my second night observing I counted 5 Meteors and a fireball i the space of 30 mins. The sky is alot busier than people think :)

I think your right. The more time I spend behind a telescope, the more I see. I guess that's why stargazing is so addictive. Thanks again. Ron

Could have been a satellite , look up iridium flares - there is a website that will tell you when these occur but I haven't got it bookmarked on this pc , as Mattscar says , you will see quite a few of these , I've also seen 3 fireballs in a year though 2 were on 1 night. The ISS is another to look out for .

Thanks. Very good info. Ron

There is a minor shower in Cephius at the moment, says about 8 an hour, so if you were looking towards that it could have been one.

There is a list of meteor showers in Wikipedia, chcl the date and if we are due one then you should see a few "coming" from that constellation, that therefore would be the best chance of seeing one in a scope.

For meteors it is often best just to sit back and look at the constellation, even binoculars would most likely be too narrow a field of view.

I guess the random stargazing makes it more fun. Thanks for the info. Ron

The best website I have found for satellites and flares is www.heavens-above.com and there is a dedicated ISS page for all the sightings. It is worth a look if you are planning a viewing session or to check what it was that you saw earlier!

Michael

Yep, always a delight, never fails to bring out a Weyhey as one unexpectedly passes overhead!

The number of satellites that pass through the field of view whilst observing is becoming alarming though!

Cheers

I was looking at Saturn the other night and a starlight travelled across the view right to left. I wondered what this was and was told that it was a satellite. That was my first time ever looking down a scope, so either I was lucky or its really busy up there as you say! :laugh:

Archived