NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

neq6 power supply

jaygpoo

I am getting in a panic as my NEQ6 is arriving next week and I have no power supply. On reading some reviews on mains supplys I see some are using 12v power blocks with a car lighter take off with positive tip. Some seem to lile using a 13.6v 5amp supply. I have just found in my garage a supply I brought to power a travel fridge . the info is

AC input 220-240v 50 Hz 0.7a DC output 13.6v 5amp 68w , So would I be able to use this ?

don´t worry regarding the voltage...

the mount has a voltage tolerance up to 19V (as far as i recall)

(i´m using a laptop power supply with +18V)

Also normaly the idle voltage is always higher (on "cheaper" power supplies), and under load it "breaks" down to nominal voltage...

in theory it depends on the load (ampere that will be drawn of the supply)

so the 13,6V shouldn´t be a problem at all...

the only problems that might be an issue:

- voltage peaks, from whatever... they can realy go high and burn some elements on the pcb

- poor quality electronics on the pcb used (condensators etc...) that pop from time to time <- *cough* planned obsolescence :evil:

The Maplin 7amp works well, my old Netgear PSU 12v 3Amp worked but the Red Power light on the mount flickered when it slewed, using the Maplin 13.8v 7Amp its nice and stable and runs through a 15m cable so the PSU stays in the dry...

I wouldn't touch one of the Maplins units - they are noisy (fan), water can get in (vented) and you can connect the polarity up the wrong way round - which kills the EQ6.

Stick to a cheap 12v 5a regulated supply from Amazon/Ebay or if you really want to, get one from Modern Astronomy.

I wouldn't touch one of the Maplins units - they are noisy (fan), water can get in (vented) and you can connect the polarity up the wrong way round - which kills the EQ6.

Stick to a cheap 12v 5a regulated supply from Amazon/Ebay or if you really want to, get one from Modern Astronomy.

Sorry but that is so wrong. My maplins bench psu is absolutely silent and while it is vented, it is kept in a plastic storage box under the mount. I, and others, have four way cigarette adaptors (available from maplins or FLO ) permanently connected to the PSU so there is no possibility of a wrong connection. This is a setup used by myself and many colleagues with no problems.

Must have improved them then - I had a noisy one and one of their website reviewers says the same.

There are several reports on here from people that have blown the motherboard of heir EQ6 connecting it te wrong way round.

A £5 solid brick type supply will do just nicely.

My 13.8v 7amp, doesn't have a fan, the output terminal are clearly coloured, and as for water getting in the vents, mine is inside with a 15m lead taking the voltage to the mount.....

Must have improved them then - I had a noisy one and one of their website reviewers says the same.

There are several reports on here from people that have blown the motherboard of heir EQ6 connecting it te wrong way round.

Think you must have had a different model or a dodgy one. Just checked, they don't have fans and you can't get a cigarette connector the wrong way around.

Think you must have had a different model or a dodgy one. Just checked, they don't have fans and you can't get a cigarette connector the wrong way around. It is a pretty standard way of connecting mounts, cameras and dew heaters.

The ones linked to don't come with integral cigarette lighter sockets, they have binding posts don't they? Connect those up the wrong way round and your mount is stuffed.

The one that does come with the socket definitely has a noisy fan, well it did - looks like they now sell a solid non-vented version have peeked at the photo currently on their website.

The ones linked to don't come with integral cigarette lighter sockets, they have binding posts don't they? Connect those up the wrong way round and your mount is stuffed.

The one that does come with the socket definitely has a noisy fan, well it did - looks like they now sell a solid non-vented version have peeked at the photo currently on their website.

No they don't come with the cigarette sockets but they are readily available cheaply and have four ports. As I said previously, an ideal solution.

Well that question got you going but thanks for the comments. I have used the power supply that I found and it worKs ok in tests. The maplin 7a unit seems to be the most favered so I may well invest in one later. Clear skies to all . Jay

Archived