Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fa-TAL barlow prices!?

Moonshane

I might be a mug but I generally look to recoup my purchases price/costs when I sell on. maybe he's doing that if he bought new but I am sure they were never £50 each? each to their own I suppose but I'd feel like I am ripping off my mates if I made a large profit on something like that.

This bears stong parallel with the situation regarding BGOs and we're all busy pontificating about it from post #114 in the BGO thread.

£100 lands you a 1.25" 2x ES telecentric Focal Extender from the States (inc import taxes), with change for a beer or two. Nuff said.

Russell

The situation is a bit different to the BGO's. When BGO was discontinued, there was no obvious replacement. You need to spend £200-300 for a XW or Delos to get the same level of on axis performance. This is why used BGO fetched the price it did.

The TAL was a good budget barlow. When it was discontinued there weren't any obvious alternative in its price range. However there are better barlow that's only slightly more expensive then the TAL (used Ultima, x-cel). I don't understand why any one would pay a premium price for a used TAL, when they can get a higher quality alternative for the same price.

Archived