I would guess that the scope will take both 2" and 1.25".

There will be an insert that reduces the diameter from 2" to 1.25"

I would be very surprised if the scope took 0.965" eyepieces, they simply are not catered for these days.

So both diameters unless you lose the reducer insert, in which case buy another one fast. :grin: :grin:

Unlike most spotting scopes eyepieces that use proprietary connections and not interchangeable between brands, every astronomical eyepiece on the market use either 1.25" or 2" push fit standard. SW200 should be able to take both with the appropriate adapter that is supplied with your scope.

0.965" eyepiece is obsolete and it's unlikely you will come across one even on the second hand market.

Another thing to bear in mind is that some eyepieces are sold as 'parfocal'. ie if your eyepices are from manufacturer "X" then you should not need to refocus everytime you change an eyepiece. If your eyepieces are from "X", "Y" & "Z" then you will need to refocus. Most TeleVue eyepieces are parfocal.

eyepieces can be a bit of a mine field to start with. it's worth having a good run with the supplied eyepieces and if possible going to a local astro club and seeing what other eyepieces offer in terms of characteristics before you start shelling out your hard earned money.

If you bought your SW200p new, it should come with two adapters, a 1.25" and a 2". These fit into the focuser, and then you put the EP in to those.

They look like this (1.25" on left, 2" on right):

post-22599-0-93293000-1366275943_thumb.j

Just put one in the focusser at a time. DON'T USE BOTH as it will mess up your ability to focus properly:

post-22599-0-78167900-1366275978_thumb.j

DON'T DO THIS ^

Hope that helps! Clear skies :)

p.s: I got these pictures from my SW200p Dob unboxing post here: http://stargazerslou...w/#entry1850126

I did exactly that on my first viewing and wondered why i couldn't focus on anything :mad:

Lots of folks do that and get rather depressed thinking that either there is something wrong with their scope, their eyepiece or themselves !

The instructions that come with the scope really need to be more helpful on this - the way that Skywatcher handle the 1.25" and 2" adapters is out of line with other brands and not intuitive, in my opinion.

Lots of folks do that and get rather depressed thinking that either there is something wrong with their scope, their eyepiece or themselves !

The instructions that come with the scope really need to be more helpful on this - the way that Skywatcher handle the 1.25" and 2" adapters is out of line with other brands and not intuitive, in my opinion.

Lots of folks also forget that they were given a 2" adapter at all at the start and when they put their first 2" eyepiece right into the focuser wonder why the damn thing doesn't come to focus.

It's only then you work out that you need an extension for both types of eyepiece.

speaking from experience..

Another thing to bear in mind is that some eyepieces are sold as 'parfocal'. ie if your eyepices are from manufacturer "X" then you should not need to refocus everytime you change an eyepiece. If your eyepieces are from "X", "Y" & "Z" then you will need to refocus. Most TeleVue eyepieces are parfocal.

having parfocal eyepieces is ideal but not necessary really. most Televue eyepieces are not parfocal although some in some ranges are parfocal with others in the range and other ranges. see http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=214&Tab= point F is the reference to consider as this governs parfocality

I didn't really want to say anything about that parfocaility comment but I agree. That is one of the few things I truly don't give a single care about. I'm sure there is a good reason for it but I truly hope manufacturers aren't making optical compromises to achieve parfocality because it's almost pointless. So long as your focuser/telescope can find focus with the eyepiece then that's just fine. I assume my eyepiece will always need focus when I put it in and some of my eyepieces are near perfect parfocal to each other but I can tell you there is not a bone in my body that will let me put in an eyepiece and not touch the focuser dial. Even if I knew it was absolutely spot on match I'd still give it a little tweak "just to be sure".

It's that irresitable urge to "just be sure" that makes parfocality pointless. If you're going to be sure you might as well do something that contributes!

Archived