Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope for DSO

GyCx

You can image using any type of scope (bar an achromatic refractor)one good reason small refractors are used for AP is they are light on the mount, there are other reasons but thats beyond my expertise i'm afraid, i'm sure someone will be along soon with a much better reason than I can give. The TAQ85 I linked above is one of the daddies for imaging dso's though. And yes they are both fracs.

Steve

I have not gotten to imaging, but I have seen on this forum a discussion of the book "Make Every Photon Count." I believe this type of thing is discussed in that book. But I could be wrong as I have not yet read the book.

Regards,

Bob

There really isn't a best all round scope for AP, even just the DSO variety!! If you look at the sizes of many nebula's you need a scope with a shorter focal length, some are positvely huge! Then galaxies and planetary nebula's don't in my opinion really get much justice out of anything less than a large scope of a minimum of 1m focal length.

People tend to have a number of scopes for these different purposes and / or different camera's as the chip sizes also differ and will make a difference to how images are produced in a frame. I found that my interest lies in nebula's and so I've now settled on a short foal length scope, accepting that in galaxy season I know that I cannot do justoce to most galaxies.

Oddly enough though, it's not just about the scope. The single most important part of the AP setp is the mount and this really is something to sort out first. The book 'Making Every Photon Count' available through the FLO website is THE definitive guide to DSO imaging. If you've not already done so, get hold of a copy.

These are both refractors right? are these type of scope better than say Newt's, Mak's & SCT's if so why is that?

No one particular type of scope will be good for all subjects and once you get above say 130mm aperture, decent refractors are prohibitively expensive and mirrors take over. Galaxies and other small objects need long focal lengths and ultra stable (read expensive) mounts. Bigger objects like extended nebulae require shorter focal lengths and are thus more forgiving on the mount. It has to be said that DSO imaging with Newtonians, Maks & SCT's is less easy than the ubiquitous ED80 refractor and this is why many start out with them. The advice about a getting decent mount is good, a HEQ5 is the minimum but if you progress into the hobby much further you might find it's quickly outgrown your needs.

What is generally regarded as the best all round scope for DSO imaging?

Hi,

The best one is the one that you can afford, you need a very good mount with at least tracking capability, a decent guiding system to control the tracking errors of the mount, at least a decent DSlR or better still a ccd camera and then depending on the type of DSOs that you wish to image, a suitable telescope and filters and so on and on.. Reading the "Book" is a very good idea, then you can decide for yourself.

Regards,

A.G

These are sound answers. I'd also add that as a beginner you'll find imaging very complicated so I would start off with choices that make life easier.

- Choose a physically small scope. (Easier on the mount, less affected by wind.)

- Apo refractors are plug and play, needing no collimation.

- Fast F ratios reduce exposure time making guiding easier.

- Short focal lengths need far less precise guiding.

- Being over-mounted is a great simplifier.

I agree with the priority order of Mount-Camera-Optics.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

These are sound answers. I'd also add that as a beginner you'll find imaging very complicated so I would start off with choices that make life easier.

- Choose a physically small scope. (Easier on the mount, less affected by wind.)

- Apo refractors are plug and play, needing no collimation.

- Fast F ratios reduce exposure time making guiding easier.

- Short focal lengths need far less precise guiding.

- Being over-mounted is a great simplifier.

I agree with the priority order of Mount-Camera-Optics.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.s...39556&k=FGgG233

Could not agree more with these 5 points.

I spent all I had on an neq6 so I'm stuck using an unguided 200p f/5 newt. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the learning curve (although frustrating at times) but I just know in the back of my mind that if I had a 66-80mm guided frac life would be that much easier. (still don't think i'd sell the newt though :)).

Archived