Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help choosing DSLR Camera

Canon every time ,

Nikon make fine cameras but the software needed for astro will set you back £200 , it comes free with a Canon......

The software APT (http://www.ideiki.com/astro/) and BYEOS ( http://www.backyardeos.com/) are specifically aimed at Canon EOS cameras and will do everything you'll ever need to control the camera remotely,

The EOS 1100D is a very good camera for the price , but you could probably get a 2nd hand one somewhere , the 1000D even cheaper , although it doesn't have video mode as such APT and BYEOS allow you to capture Livevirw streaming for planetary work.

I've just ordered a 2nd hand 1100D from eBay myself. Currently have 10D (rubbish but better than I was expecting) and 450D (excellent) but neither have video or the ability to control mirror lockup from APT so the 1100 is the next logical step. If it performs as well as the 450D as many people report then it's a great choice.

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

A decent second hand Nikon D5100 could be had for that price. The sensor is a great performer (same as in Sony NEX-5 & Nikon D7000) It's got a flip out screen to help with composition. There is no definite need for special astro software to get good results & there are plenty of free programs available such as DSS & Gimp.

Hi, after owning and using the following Canon's: 300D, Modded 300D, 350D, modded 350D 400D, 1100D, and now a modded 500D.

I would say with your budget and requirements either the 1100D or the 500D would be very good choices, the Digic 4 processer in both these models delivers very good signal to noise which is very important for AP, they both have live view and video which is handy.

I think the 500D is better in a couple of respects, it has full 1080p video and an excellent high resolution lcd screen plus its one up on the build quality and extra functions.

hth

Chris

" There's no definite need for special astro software to get good results "

Possibly not , but you'll find life a whole lot easier with a Canon and APT/BYEOS than with a Nikon without , fact . . .

steve is correct, the ability to focus and set up all the shots and exposure lengths on the computer is hugely useful! A canon 1100d would be an excellent budget dslr with decent quality images and excellent computer compatibility. That said, I recommend all current canon dslrs (Nikon are FANTASTIC for conventional photography but slightly more limited for astro work)

Hi All, Im looking for a DSLR camera that will shoot video, for astrophotography. Which are the ones to go for?

You don't say what type of astronomy you are hoping to do with a DSLR. Are you planning to use the video mode of the DSLR for planetary imaging? As far as I'm aware (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong everybody) it would be better to use a webcam for that. If it's long exposure deep sky images you're going for then I can recommend the Canon 500D.

I use a modded Lifecam for planetary, im looking to get into DSO imaging I want to start out cheaply so after all thing considered I may go for the Canon EOS 1000d.

Archived