NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BST Explorer / Star Guider EP:

Rachelle

Evening everyone,

I'm looking for a higher mag EP for views of Saturn later this month when it comes closer to Earth. I've read some great reviews on the BST Explorer / Star Guider EP but can't find any for sale anywhere. Any suggestions?

Or any recommendations on other EP's? I've also been looking at the VIXEN NPL.

Any help will be appreciated :D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to mention Alan sells them via his Ebay shop which is where I got mine. Just had a look but at the moment there is a message saying back in 2 days whilst he balances the accounts! You will like the BSTs they are excellent value for money. See the write up here http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm for some info at the bottom of the page, but actually the whole article is worth a read.

If I recall correctly, Alan stops selling before he reaches his VAT limit for that month. They then re-appear at the beginning of the next month, but with the financial year having ended on the 4th, I imagine there will be slightly longer delay.

Russell

Alan used to not be VAT registered so would limit what he sold, however some time back he changed and became VAT registered so the VAT aspect is not a factor any longer.

Used to be somewhat amusing, a retailer that would not sell stuff because they had done too good a turnover. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Always worth an email to him to ask anyway.

Evening everyone,

I'm looking for a higher mag EP for views of Saturn later this month when it comes closer to Earth. I've read some great reviews on the BST Explorer / Star Guider EP but can't find any for sale anywhere. Any suggestions?

Or any recommendations on other EP's? I've also been looking at the VIXEN NPL.

Any help will be appreciated :D

What scope will the eyepiece be used in ?.

Just thought I ought to ask !

What scope will the eyepiece be used in ?.

Just thought I ought to ask !

Was wondering the same myself!

With the 200p my WO 6m SPL EP gives me 200x which is about as good as I can get.

It's a lovely EP and I've been amazed at the images I've had of both Jupiter and Saturn.

Cheers

Morning all,

Had an email back this morning and he said he's being doing a stock check just to make sure all facts and figures add up so he doesn't sell what he doesn't have. He said he'll be up and running again about midday today.

Also, I have a Sky Watcher Explorer 130. (I'm new to this...).

Alan is a wonderful bloke Ive spoke to him a few times i have 2 BST`s i am going to buy more when finance's improve the 15mm was in the Sky At Night Magazine in January was voted best of the bunch that's how good the eyepieces are for the money.

They are all back up and listed now :)

Now to decide which one, I hate decisions.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Hmmm...Choices, choices. Let me know which one you decide ;-)

Im swaying towards the 8mm at the moment as currently I have the stock 25mm and 10mm, the 25 serves quite well for finding objects and a closer look with a barlow, yet the 10mm one is quite awful to use and very frustrating. So for me atleast it looks like it will be the 8mm this month and the 18mm next month :)

(By the way, Im looking at the 8, 18 & 25 as they seem to be recommended for my scope's speed of f5, different scopes are better suited to different EP focal lengths)

I have the 5, 18 and 25. The order I bought them in was 18&5 together and then later the 25.

Replacing the stock 25 for the BST 25 is more than a like for like swap and it's easy to forget that. The expanded AFOV of the BST means that you keep the magnification but gain quite a bit more true field of view at this pleasing magnification.

The 5 performs well for planetary I found and the 18mm was always a firm DSO/galaxy favorite for me which, when paired with the BST 25mm, barlows down to replace the supplied 10mm nicely with a 9mm and 12.5mm + 60 degrees AFOV. I always fancied filling out the set but since replaced with a box of ES82s so probably wont get the chance to see the remaining eyepieces unless I go to a star party.

Archived