Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Still cant find Panstarrs.

Dissapointed to say the least. Not a cloud in the sky over London this evening. Still cant find the stupid thing. No GOTO. Rubbish setting circles...

So after much scientific observation I conclud that there is no comet.

:angryfire:

You may find it easier early am as the comet rises then to a reasonable height in the sky. Should be a reasonable bino target if you can get rid of the pesky clouds...Will be near to M31.

If I remember correctly from last night, go from Perseus through the double cluster to Cassiopia then go 90 degree towards horizon about the distance from Perseus to Cassiopia and you should be near M31 and the comet. good luck

Ian

When we first found it this evening it was very faint - but did get brighter as the sky darkened. Worth persevering :smiley: I followed the bottom 'triangle' of Cassiopoeia, imagining it's an arrow pointing down & to the left. Following that line you should find Andromeda, Panstarrs is pretty close. Good luck - we only found it a few days ago.

It took me ages to find tonight from LP Bristol but used Mirach and went horizontally and found it eventually. It had to get pretty dark though. Could get the tail and nucleus in pretty good detail the darker it good. Keep trying and you will definitely find it :-)

lost the plot last night 8.15 in garden with binos 15 x 70 star chart on table and started to look found found the star

almach droped down a bit to star mirach orange in colour then crossed to next star and then right just moving across and WOLLOP THERE SHE WAS PANSTARRS. was well impressed nice head and a fine looking tail quiet wide

I saw it the other evening and it was quite dim - it was only visible using averted vision, event though the sky was quite dark. I think that the transparency of the sky is quite important as the comet is quite low on the horizon.

Just get the alt and az off the web and scan the sky methodically in that region.

I found it last night at 8:30, it was a slight reddish colour that didnt quite look right as a start, i guess as it was reflecting the setting sun light or something. Towards 9pm the sky got darker and it was very clear (and very clearly a comet) until the neighbours roof got in the way. At around that time last night it was 15degrees up and 315 degress north.

Just get the alt and az off the web and scan the sky methodically in that region.

I found it last night at 8:30, it was a slight reddish colour that didnt quite look right as a start, i guess as it was reflecting the setting sun light or something. Towards 9pm the sky got darker and it was very clear (and very clearly a comet) until the neighbours roof got in the way. At around that time last night it was 15degrees up and 315 degress north.

Each time I have seen iPANSTARRS is has been orange/red. I read somewhere it had high sodium emissions so that would probaly explain the colour. It also suggests that you shouldn't use light pollution filters.

I finally got it just after 9 tonight with the 15x70s, but it wasn't super-obvious. I failed yesterday with the 10x50s, though I may have been looking in the wrong place then. Though clear, it seemed damp and misty on both nights, and of course I'm always plagued by light pollution. Even M31 was tough to see, never a good sign. PanSTARRS was thoroughly unspectacular when I found it, though it was obviously a comet, with a brighter (pseudo)nucleus and small fan-shaped tail. Well, having seen one comet's better than having seen none, but bring on ISON I say.

For people struggling with finding Panstarrs you could try what I did last night when I realised I had a narrow view between two houses where it might be visible from my back yard.

In that direction it's difficult to get my bearings but I noticed that extending the line from epsilon to delta Cassiopeia (the two highest up stars in "W" of Cassiopeia) towards the horizon then just a bit left should put me within easy binocular sweeping range of the comet.

It worked a treat. It's not really an easy object if you have any light pollution. Take it steady and give your eyes a chance to scan the field before moving on.

It is there honest. Just don't be too disappointed when you find it!!

:-)

LP seems to kill it quite easily. I've been looking for weeks in London and not seen it once. Was away in Bakewell last night and found it immediately in binos. Looked very nice, clear and with a distinct shape.

Stu

• 1 month later...

Archived