counterweights

Quick question about counterweights.

Just setting up my new NEQ6 in my living room and was wondering which is better, to use the extension bar or to add extra weights on a short bar? Or does it make no difference to stability?

For static balance, a small weight on a long bar is the same as a heavy weight on a short bar.

However, I think if there is a knock, or vibration, or the wind blows, things are different.

The shorter bar should recover stability sooner.

My physics & applied maths are very rusty from lack of use since the days of flared trousers (first time around). But from what I remember, once you get a weight moving, the stored energy is proportional to the speed squared. Also a long bar will flex more and so store more energy compared to a short bar.

Having twice as much weight, but at half the distance from the axis of rotation, won't make any difference to the balance (which depends on mass*distance), but it will reduce the moment of inertia (which depends on mass*distance^2). It's a bit like when spinning ice skaters pull in their arms to speed up. This would make it easier to accelerate the RA axis, although the whole setup then weighs that bit more. Extra mass could be beneficial in terms of resisting breezes and other external sources of vibration. On a lighter mount, the choice might be more critical, but on an NEQ6, which is pretty beefy and already weighs a fair bit itself, then it's probably more important to make the choice based on ease of transport and setup.

It's a bit like when spinning ice skaters pull in their arms to speed up.

I don't think that's a fair comparison since the scater is still at the same weight. Inertia is the same for a balanced system - regardless of how you play with weighs and distances. Total weight - wear - on bearings, and flex of the bar, plus wind considerations might play a part. As would price perhaps - what's cheaper, a weight or a bar? I like compact setups, but there's no maths to back that it's better in any way. Just less to bump in to. It does mean more to carry around though...

/Jesper

From a practical point of view there's less chance of bumping into a short bar in the pitch dark and doing yourself an injury than there is a long bar. I have the bruises to prove it lol. Along with the shorter damping qualities of a none extended bar it's a no brainer really. :)

(Of course there may be situations when an extension is required)

I vote for the short bar extra weights option. And if you are worried about costs any sports shop will sell you weights far, far cheaper than an astro shop - may not be a good match cosmetically but who cares in the dark?

I don't think that's a fair comparison since the scater is still at the same weight. Inertia is the same for a balanced system - regardless of how you play with weighs and distances. Total weight - wear - on bearings, and flex of the bar, plus wind considerations might play a part. As would price perhaps - what's cheaper, a weight or a bar? I like compact setups, but there's no maths to back that it's better in any way. Just less to bump in to. It does mean more to carry around though...

/Jesper

Sorry to disagree but I think it is a fair comparision as I believe Oblong was talking about conservation of angular momentum in a moving system - i.e. in real life when the mount has been nudged accidentally or by wind...

What would be the point if we all agreed on everything :smiley: .

Let's have a tight rope walker out on the line. He carries a long pole to balance. All is well and good. We take a saw and cut the pole between his hands, and replace one end with a short stubby lump. Due to being so much shorter this new piece is much, much heavier than the original piece in order to balance perfectly in his hands.

Would the new pole would have a tendency to act differently than the original one? How so then? Would it rather rotate in one direction than the other, would it take longer to stop rotating in one direction, compared to the other? I personally don't think so.

Replace both ends of the pole with the stumps, and you'll have something just as functional but way too heavy for the tightrope man to handle.

I see the point of the preservation for angular momentum depending on moment arm length. But I think the effects of an energy input at one end (OTA end) will have the same effect, and still fit in with any formula thrown at it. One way out could be to make the CW's as big as the OTA so the wind effect cancels out.

The scater doesn't gain weight as he pulls his arms in - but our system does as we change the weights.

But, I am no expert in physics - far, far from it. I'll happily listen and learn.

/Jesper

Archived