Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do I find double stars with Synscan please ??

Hi All

Seems you never run out of questions in this hobby lol.

How do I go about finding double stars using synscan as the attempt to use SAO # in the past has been less than reliable at recognizing input numbers and if I remember correctly doesn't even have enough digit spaces for most.

Any help welcomed.

There is a selection of double stars programmed into Synscan. Have a fiddle about about the object database, I can't remember which submenue they are, maybe under named stars, but there is quite a few of the main ones in there

Under Object List is an option for Double Stars, I guess they are by name. (Sect 5.6 Page 21 of manual)

If SAO numbers then Synscan is a bit odd, you enter the first 4 digits only, including any leading 0's, you then press Enter and it brings up a list of those that all match the first 4 digits, you then pick from this sub-list. (Sect 5,5 Page 21 of Manual)

Have to say seems an odd way of doing it as I guess you press aboutt he same number of keys either way.

The SAO list only has the stars brighter then Mag 8, so if looking for a Mag 10 then it will not be there.

This may be why you enter the first 4 digits as star are absent from the SAO catalogue, they may not want you entering a series of not included star numbers.

I was hoping I was doing something wrong with synscan regards the SAO catalogue. My pocket PC software (astronomist) for some reason and as far as I'm aware only displays the SAO numbers and not the name but this must include a lists doubles MAG10 and above so it would explain why I'm struggling :(

Better dust off the star atlas.

Thanks guys.

Managed to read the online manual and I found it a bit odd concerning double stars.

I guess it is the SW way of not listing the full SAO catalogue - too big I suppose.

Not looked in the the Meade SAO list.

Not sure why it stops at Mag 8, as I suspect the same software is on scopes able to see dimmer then Mag 8.

They seem to make a big enough song and dance about the 15000 object database on the 102 skymax that will probably only show a fraction of the listed objects but taking in to account skyncan is used on their 16" Dobs you would have thought there would have been a bigger SAO catalogue wouldn't you ??

Archived