Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Sky - at Long Last - Panstarrs here I come

SeedyF

I have become very despondent about my chances of seeing the comet but at long last we have a clear sunset/twilight in Hertfordshire. So I am off with all my kit to the top of a hill to hopefully observe and get an image :)

Fingers crossed.

20x80 bins, check

camera tripod, check

alt az mount for tripod and bins, check

clear sky still and sun setting, check

I have drawn up a piece of paper to show me exactly where to look and phoned everyone in the family and my friends to go to a local football park with a perfectly flat western horizon. I'm going to hold an impromptu comet gazing party and I'm going to be the instructor! fun!

Likewise here... this may be one of the last chances. I know roughly which direction, but the question will be how high up it will be. My target location is a bit of grass 5 mins away from my house. If that isn't low enough to horizon, the next nearest is another 10 mins on unlit paths.

Still not dark enough yet anyway, so refuelling myself first :D

What a great evening. All by myself on a deserted dead end country lane but with a perfect view of the horizon. Through the telescope the comet looked FANTASTIC, a massive tail spread out like a fan and a wonderful sight through the 32mm and 15mm eyepieces against the backdrop of stars.

My astrophotography is rubbish though! Just put the camera on the tripod, not hooked up to the telescope. I have one image that will do for posterity but nothing worth sharing. The Hertfordshire sky round my area comes out orange at the best of times, low in the sky it looks like a B&Q billboard :(

This one sure beats all the fuzzy ball comets that have been around since I got a telescope a few years back. One of my top 10 views through a telescope for certain. And to have a couple of dodgy images of it in the same frame as Andromeda is almost priceless. :D

Archived