Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos Vs Delos!

Damo636

When a used 14mm Delos popped up for sale a couple of weeks ago I couldn't resist snapping it up to compare it with my 13mm Ethos! I have seen it reported, that although based on the Ethos but with a smaller tfov & extra eye relief, the Delos has a slight edge optically over its much more expensive big brother. I had to see for myself :smiley:

post-11833-0-46033700-1364822505_thumb.j

Not that long ago I owned the 6 & 10mm Delos along with the 8mm Ethos, but never conducted a comparison. In any case, the magnifications with those three varied too much in my 1500mm fl scope to conduct a direct comparison. With the 13mm Ethos/14mm Delos, the magnification difference is pretty insignificant (115x/107x).

I've had 4 sessions with this eyepiece to date. Last night in particular the conditions were really nice, freezing cold but the sky was nice & transparent. I won't go into a list of every target I've observed, I wouldn't remember anyway :rolleyes:, but I've compared both eyepieces extensively on various solar system & deep sky targets. In all areas both eyepieces have excelled. The 14mm Delos is an absolute stunner, essentially perfect optically and ergonomically, I honestly could not fault it in any way. The thing is though, across a like for like 72 degrees, to my eyes, the Ethos matches it in every single performance criteria. Sharpness, contrast, throughput, control of scatter etc, there is nothing to pick between them. For me though, and this is where it gets completely subjective, at this fl, the Delos lacks the "Wow Factor" of the Ethos. That said, if I ever tire of 100 degree afov and having to remove my glasses while observing, there is no other eyepiece I would consider at this fl, the 14mm Delos is about as good as it gets :icon_salut:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a very interesting report Damo, thanks for posting it and lucky you having the opportunity to compare these excellent eyepieces "back to back" :smiley:

Paul Dellechiaie of Tele Vue has produced two world class ranges here - I wonder what he has got in store for the future ?

wow high praise indeed Damo,nice to here that the delos is that good and is a great alternative to the 13E..buy the way that 21E you have...is that as good as they say?i suppose if there was a way of hiding which ep you had in the focuser,to the casual observer it would be a very,very hard choice to make..nice report

When did you smuggle that one in under radar. Nice one and it saves me buying one to do it. I know there is a bit more between them but I was of the same opinion with the Delos 6mm and the Ethos 8mm both of which I will hang on to. I still have not made up my mind on the 6mm Ethos and following John's thoughts on the very fellow used with a Powermate I am thinking of it in a very good light.

Alan.

Thanks guys!

EW, the 21 Ethos really is as good as they say :wink2:

Alan, If getting it delivered to work is the same as smuggling it in under the radar then I'm, "Guilty as charged" :grin:

I'll have to get it smuggled back out again now though!

I still haven't worked out how I am getting back from England with the pile I have coming to me.

I think I may have to leave the unpacking until she is at work.

Alan.

Tsk tsk

Great report, Damo and I'm glad to see the Delos receiving such favourable reviews.

I've been reading about whilst saving for a decent higher power midrange EP (2mm exit pupil more or less) and we're just spoilt for choice; Naglers, Delos, Ethos, XWs. It's like a golden age at the moment.

I'm hoping to add an 8mm myself at some point in the future Michael. I find the gap from the 10-7mm XW (150x-214x) can be a little too big at times. The 8mm Delos would sit perfectly in between at 187x.

Funny enough, I find the eye relief comfortable enough with the 13mm & 21mm Ethos, but found the 8mm tighter. It might be an illusion due to the increase in magnification as eye relief is stated at 15mm across the range, definitely feels tighter though? The Delos are exceptionally comfortable to use.

I find the eye relief in the 8mm and 6mm Ethos does feel a little tighter than the 13mm even though officially it's the same. I don't know why this is but I agree that it feels that way Damo.

The ES 20 / 100 is tighter again - only .5mm difference officially but they have recessed the eye lens a little more than the Ethos do so you need to roll down the eye cup to see (or at least perceive) the whole field of view.

I find the eye relief in the 8mm and 6mm Ethos does feel a little tighter than the 13mm even though officially it's the same. I don't know why this is but I agree that it feels that way Damo.

The ES 20 / 100 is tighter again - only .5mm difference officially but they have recessed the eye lens a little more than the Ethos do so you need to roll down the eye cup to see (or at least perceive) the whole field of view.

Glad to hear its not just me that noticed the eye relief shorter on the 8E John! I wouldn't go as far as to say I found it uncomfortably short, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't get myself settled behind it the way I can with the longer focal lengths? I think somewhere along the line I've developed a taste for long "ish" eye relief, even though strictly speaking I don't really need them as I tend to remove my glasses when observing.

Being somewhat brain dead I can't say that I have ever noticed but rest assured I will be looking for it now. I think it comes down to rarely using two ethos's on the same night. I had the 8mm out the other night for some time and I have to say I didn't find it a problem or uncomfortable, I don't wear glasses either. Just goes to show we are all slightly different with our likes and dislikes.

Alan.

I don't find any of the 100 degree eyepieces actually uncomfortable re: eye relief. I came to them via Naglers which had 12mm and inflexible rubber eyecups so 14mm / 15mm plus nice soft eyecups seems quite luxurious :smiley:

Nice one Damo, and congrats on the new glass :cool: glad it's not just me doubling up in some FLs :grin:

All I can say is, you're an encouraging bad bad man :eek::grin:

Hey Dunkster

Just because others are doubling up, it doesn't make it right

Nice one Damo, and congrats on the new glass :cool: glad it's not just me doubling up in some FLs :grin:

All I can say is, you're an encouraging bad bad man :eek::grin:

Its a temporary double up I'm afraid Dunk, I only bought it for a bit of a play! Its now back on Astro Buy & Sell as we speak :-)

Hey Dunkster

Just because others are doubling up, it doesn't make it right why don't you just stick those surplus EPs for sale at give away prices (incl delivery to Ireland) of course✈ahem

Barry

Hey Bart, not sure any of my old junk will be of any use to you what with my hideously long FL SCTs :D:eek: but I just happened to be across the pond for a few days last week and, as if by magic, some packages arrived for me in our US office :D :D but more on that later ;)

Its a temporary double up I'm afraid Dunk, I only bought it for a bit of a play! Its now back on Astro Buy & Sell as we speak :-)

Wow Damo, hats off to you mate, that's very decisive, are you sure you don't need to keep the Delos? ;):D

Btw, is it much lighter? From what I've seen the Delos are not the smallest of beasties... :eek:

Wow Damo, hats off to you mate, that's very decisive, are you sure you don't need to keep the Delos? ;):D

Btw, is it much lighter? From what I've seen the Delos are not the smallest of beasties... :eek:

You know what mate, I went out for an hour last night armed the 14mm Delos in one pocket, & the 10mm XW in the other. I actually went to bed questioning whether or not I prefer the 13mm Ethos! Take the extra afov of the Ethos out of the equation and the playing field would be level, at least optically speaking. Then factor in the extra eye relief of the Delos, lighter weight (0.9lb vs 1.3lb) & an afov thats pin sharp almost to the very edge at f5 (obviously coma more apparant in 100° afov). Suddenly the decision isn't so clear cut??

Archived