NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where's Saturn?

claire1985

First if all I'm back!!!! Stupid iPhone broke so had no Internet for a while :-(

Second it's now 4.28am I looked outside about 20 minutes ago and high up south west I saw a bright star, got binos out but very tired blurry eyes couldn't make out what it was, is Saturn around there this time of night?

I'm in Southern California. I get up between 2 AM and 4:30 AM to view Saturn. Earlier is better before the Moon comes up which is still rather bright, otherwise light pollution is low at those hours. Go into Stellarium to easily locate Saturn. So, before midnight, I enjoy Jupiter, later/earlier on, Saturn.

First if all I'm back!!!! Stupid iPhone broke so had no Internet for a while :-(

Second it's now 4.28am I looked outside about 20 minutes ago and high up south west I saw a bright star, got binos out but very tired blurry eyes couldn't make out what it was, is Saturn around there this time of night?

Yes, most probably was Saturn that you saw.

Saturn is very easy to spot because it is quite bright, but you may need bins to confirm.

You will not make out the rings but you should see a definite shape. It will also glow yellowish & evenly and not twinkle like a distant star.

Have you got Stallarium - a free download which once you have entered your Latitude & Longitude (can get that from Google Maps) it will give you a live view of what you can see from your location - but - its only available for PC's but for an iphone, there are apps which when you hold your phone up, it will show you what you are looking at. There again, I have Android but one of them is again done by Google called Sky Maps - Had a quick look and there is one for the iphone here :- http://www.x04studios.com/classicskymap.html

Hi Claire ,

The bright star 'high' in the SW at that time is Arcturus in Bootes.

Saturn is below and east of him , and unfortunately will not get higher than he is for a few years to come.

Hope you catch him next time .

Quick Stellarium screenshot.

post-21219-0-18809700-1364814808_thumb.p

Hi Claire ,

Saturn is below and east of him , and unfortunately will not get higher than he is for a few years to come.

Yep, exactly this.

I use google sky maps on my android phone. I thought i wouldn't learn the sky with it but I've actually learned more using the app than reading constellation maps. After just a couple of times using it I've become less dependent on it.

Hi Claire ,

Ah thank you! I think I actually spotted Saturn then but didn't check in the binos,

My iPhone has had to be restored so I've lost all my apps, always found that the inbuilt compass never orientated itself properly to be honest x

Hi Claire ,

Unless you move to the southern hemisphere, I guess...

Archived