HEQ5 Pro vs CG5 GT for imaging.

Daddystu

I'm in the market for a mount and the CG5 GT would save me a quite a bit over a HEQ5. Guess what i'd like to know is... is the HEQ5 'that' much better to be worth 300 pound more?

I've read some reviews that seem to rate the celestron highly but with payloads upto 8/9Kg - which should be fine for me.

Ok, I'm not an imager but I'm fairly sure 'imagers' don't like to load their mounts to capacity. If you're looking at getting the full 8/9 on your cg5, people are defo going to give you the big no no. Any less and you'll be good. The HEQ5 is a great all rounder so if you're looking at long term, you won't find many people tell you that's a bad mount to own.

Warning, this comment is not going to help:

I am a very happy cg5 gt user. Its portable and stable. Great goto system. In the end its about payload vs price+portability. I use the cg5 with a 5kg 6" newton and quite some photography bagage, total about 8 kg which is about half the payload for visual I think. However, I think most people will advise the heq5 and considering future upgrade it is a wise choice.....

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

I have googled it a bit and different sites tell different things. Some rate it 15 kg, some 12. For AP the max will then be 7 to 8 kg. Next time out, i will remove the viewfinder and add some helium balloons haha.

Warning, this comment is not going to help:

I am a very happy cg5 gt user. Its portable and stable. Great goto system. In the end its about payload vs price+portability. I use the cg5 with a 5kg 6" newton and quite some photography bagage, total about 8 kg which is about half the payload for visual I think. However, I think most people will advise the heq5 and considering future upgrade it is a wise choice.....

That does help. Thanks. I've read of people easily getting 10 min+ subs when guided so im thinking why spend 300 more on something that'll do the same. Maybe the HEQ5 users will clarify its advantages.

I've owned both, but not done any serious astrophotography with either.

CG5 pros: solid but portable, handset software is great, price; cons: very noisy - I couldn't use it on my patio for fear of annoying the neighbours.

HEQ5 pros: solid and still portable, quiet (er), great tracking performance, EQMod (this is a HUGE benefit for imaging); cons: the handset software isn't as slick, but using EQMod will mean you don't need to use the handset anyway ;-)

For me, the HEQ5 wins on all but price, but I think the difference is worth it for full EQMod capability.

Helen

I'm looking to upgrade my wibberly wobberly EQ2 to something more stable. I know that either will be better than what i've got, but wonder how much I justify spending to get HEQ5 or even EQ6 "just incase" I get a bigger scope and still need stability for imaging as well.

What I've read so far, I think I'd go for the HEQ5 over the CG5. From what I can tell the CG5 is pretty similar to the EQ5 (the HEQ5's little brother)

Its roughly 670 for a new HEQ5 syntrek+EQMOD versus 500 new or 350 2nd hand for CG5 GT.

I'm edging away from the CG5 now although the celestron advanced VX has tickled my fancy somewhat.

My bike is currently on ebay to pay for the new mount but the auction isn't going so well. I dont think I can sneak Mr HEQ5 past the wife without her noticing.

I started off with the CG-5 GT then moved to the HEQ5 pro, both were second hand and the HEQ5 was not much more. The performance of the CG5 was good and easily handled a C8, DSLR and small guide scope. It was very noisy though depsite my attemps with sound proofing around the motors. I found the HEQ5 a step up in quality and very quiet. Handset control was not as good, but I used EQ mode which was great, but needs a laptop hooked up. I would say go for the HEQ5 if you're not too bothered about money, but the CG-5 would be fine too.

I started off with the CG-5 GT then moved to the HEQ5 pro, both were second hand and the HEQ5 was not much more. The performance of the CG5 was good and easily handled a C8, DSLR and small guide scope. It was very noisy though depsite my attemps with sound proofing around the motors. I found the HEQ5 a step up in quality and very quiet. Handset control was not as good, but I used EQ mode which was great, but needs a laptop hooked up. I would say go for the HEQ5 if you're not too bothered about money, but the CG-5 would be fine too.

Well I kind of suspected this, but thanks for the useful comment. In the far future I'll get an heq5 of eq6, but for the meantime I'm golden with my cg5 gt and a neighboor who always invites me onto HIS roof terrace for better views :)

I have an eq6 and a cq5, if i understand correctly the cq5 is the latest model of the eq5 (the one with the RA bearing not just friction fit) the cq5 has the larger tripod similar to the eq6 tripod,

That aside the cq5 i currently use with a 120mm fract and have used it for a 10"OO newt with no issues.

If again i understand correctly you could fit the synscan software and controller to a cq5 manual, then you would have an eq5 pro on effectively an eq6 tripod.

I am currently half way through fitting my old eq6 motors to my cq5 (using belt drive to adjust the RA ratio) should be ok.

As to wether the heq5 is worth £300 more than a cq5 gt , its all a matter of what you need, the heq5 is easier to adjust and fettle, and is a more capable mount, but the cq5 is also great and is easier to handle.

Ps sorry it all thats a spanner in the works/??

Archived