Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Easy Messier object to see

I am interested in looking for some spiral galaxies. I have a 130mm reflector telescope if that helps. I would like to see the cigar shaped and sombrero ones as well if i am able to with my scope. What are some other objects to browse to? I am sure this has been asked many times, and I looked through the forums but didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.

This might help,

http://www.astro-tom...erving_tips.htm

Spiral galaxies have low surface brightness and are a bit easier to see in pristine dark sky and big aperture. You should be able to pick up brighter and edge ones such as M81 and M82. There's loads more to see , especially the easier clusters M36, 37, 38 ,M35 , M13 and M44,

Nick.

M81 and M82 are the easiest to see at the moment. As cotterless says face on spiral galaxies are difficult to see unless you have zero light pollution and dark skies. I struggle to see much beyond a core in my 10" so reserving your expectations might be wise. Edge on galaxies are much easier to see and M81 and M82 are bright and spottable in most scopes I would say. I can even see them in 10x50 bins at the moment.

"Turn left at Orion" is a great book, which shows you what to look for, as well as

what is observable with the relevant scope size, or even bins, it is a great tool.

and thank's to Nick for a very good link.

I am also a beginner and can't say enough about getting a copy of Turn Left at Orion. It helps to declutter the subject and gives really helpful images that show what various targets look like through a reflector. I used the info in the book to confirm that I had found the Orion Nebula... A very cool thing to see. Get the book. :laugh:

from decent skies it's perfectly possible to 'see' or detect many galaxies with your scope. you won't see much in the way of detail and spiral arms will/may be pushing it but you'll be able to confirm sighting them at least. in reality, not many galaxies show real detail unless you have both aperture and dark skies and even then it's often quite a challenge.

If it's galaxies you after then everyone's right with M81 & 82 at the moment. However, there are plenty more that should be well within your grasp. M51 is a good bet (nice face on spiral with the added bonus of getting to see two galaxies in one!), as are M64 & 65, M95, M 85, M102, and NGC 4631 thrown in for good measure. You MIGHT be just able to catch the Andromeda galaxy (M31) in the early evening before it drifts out of sight (plus, if you catch it in the next couple of days there's a good chance you'll see comet C/2011 L4 panstarrs along with it!). Try downloading a copy of stellarium (if you haven't already) and simply type the names in, this will give you a good idea of where to look for them.

If it's galaxies you after then everyone's right with M81 & 82 at the moment. However, there are plenty more that should be well within your grasp. M51 is a good bet (nice face on spiral with the added bonus of getting to see two galaxies in one!), as are M64 & 65, M95, M 85, M102, and NGC 4631 thrown in for good measure. You MIGHT be just able to catch the Andromeda galaxy (M31) in the early evening before it drifts out of sight (plus, if you catch it in the next couple of days there's a good chance you'll see comet C/2011 L4 panstarrs along with it!). Try downloading a copy of stellarium (if you haven't already) and simply type the names in, this will give you a good idea of where to look for them.

sorry, meant M65 & 66... though M64 should still be a good one to go for!

Your 130mm should pull in enough light even in polluted skies to show you M81 and M82 easily. I observe from Pittsburgh, PA in terrible skies, and my 4.5" reflector is enough for M81/82. I BARELY got M51 a few weeks ago. By BARELY I mean I have excellent vision and my eyes were adjusted and I still wasnt 100% so if you're inexperienced theres a good chance you wont see it even with your slightly larger scope.

I would strongly suggest globular clusters for you. If you wait until after midnight, depending on your horizon, M13 and M92 are easily visible. THeyre quite an impressive sight, and I suggest starting with them to get an idea of how faint DSOs really are from urban locations. I know that from my location, M64 is totally out of reach unfortunately (since it was mentioned above). Which sucks because I reeeeaaaallllly want M64. Just too low mag.

Also, make sure you're on low magnification (the longest focal length eyepiece). Not only does this help searching for the targets, but it will make the galaxies appear more concentrated and brighter. If you have a lot of light pollution, though, there's not much you can do to increase the contrast between the object and background (actually, very near foreground, now I think about it). I got a beautiful view of M81 and M82 last night from my back garden, at a magnification of 15x in a 106mm scope. I fancy it was even better with a light pollution reduction filter - and on small scopes, you really need low magnifications to get the best out of filters. At higher mags, a filter would make everything too dark.

This isn't quite the same for targets that consist of point light sources (resolvable stars), because then magnification will decrease the intensity of the background light, but the points will stay points and stand out more.

You mentioned the Sombrero galaxy, M104.

So long as you have a decent Southern horizon, you will be able to see this. It has a high surface brightness and so is tolerant of light pollution. Not sure if your sky is good enough to see the famous dust lane, however.

The other suggestions on here are worth trying for. M81 (Bodes) / 82 (Cigar) is probably the pick of them but M64 in Coma is good and the Leo pair M65 and M66 are quite an easy target.

Good luck!

SUCCESS!! I tried again last night and I managed to spot M81 & M82 this time :)

I could see them both in the same field of view with my 25mm EP, I tried to look at them with my 8mm EP but they were too faint, they look much nicer with a lower magnification.

So what I have so far is M81(Bodes), 82(Cigar), 64(Black Eye), 65, 66, 101(Pinwheel), 13(Hercules Globular), 92, 51(Whirlpool), 95, 85, 102(Spindle), 31(Andromeda), 35, 36, 37, 38, 44(Beehive) and NGC 4631(Whale).

I should be going out tomorrow night on partly cloudy skies :embarrassed:, but hopefully it cooperates and stays mostly clear. Taking my mother with me so we can utilize both, my telescope and my binocs.

Thank you all for your input in helping me create this list to use to help me find some galaxies and clusters.

Well, my Mother and I went out to a dark place last night. I knew it was supposed to be a little cloudy, but it was very cloudy. I didn't get to take my Tele out, but used my Binos when the clouds then break for a few moments and got to see some bright stars but nothing else. its supposed to rain the next 4 or 5 days...I just wanted to go out there in case it decided to clear up. Will have to try again in a week or so.

Archived