Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hello to everyone i am returning to astroimaging after 30 years!

mikeobrien

Hi and thanks for all your good wishes I am overwhelmed by the response I have received. Your certainly right that the capabilities of the equipment has really moved on. In the 70's I was lucky to pickup the central star in m57 by boiling the film in developer! Now I am photographing fields that include 18th mag galaxies from a location where the skies are terrible. Seem to be getting reasonable results but can't get flat frames To work they just overcorrect the vignette. Must be something I am doing wrong! I am using a nebula filter with good results can anyone suggest a good filter or filters for galaxies under really polluted skies, seem to be mainly hp sodium but now a few led street lights too.

Mike

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike, and welcome back to the hobby and to SGL.

Can't help much with filters for LP, other than I use a SW LP filter which is good for the very small amount of LP I get... mostly Sodium... not quite sure how it performs under heavy LP though, also I don't know how good it is for the newer LED types, we don't have any of those in this part of the world.

Clear Skies,

I think the newer led lights are fairly broad spectrum and so can't be filtered rather you have to filter for the particular object you are trying to capture which is a subtleb difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...

Figured out how to attach pictures, this is my most recent, no prizes for guessing what it is. It was a real thrill to image this from a LP back garden on the edge of Wigan.

As regards my pictures from 30 years ago they are so poor in comparison despite being taken through an 18" Newtonian reflector. One of the problems we had at the time was a drive system that wasn't accurate and I am not sure how well polar aligned it was.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post-29935-138257516737_thumb.jpg

When I was taking astrophotos in the 1970's the kit available to me was basically an SLR 35mm film camera and some bog standard black and white film. The scope I used belonged to Salford astro soc and still is an 18" newtonian . but at that time the drive was very poor the skies very poor and we couldn't achieve anything like can be done today.

Mike

Your quite right I did but with the horrible weather I haven't used them yet. I am contemplating the best configuration to use them. How are your narrower! Band filters performing well I hope. Still tonight looks promising, so far anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived