Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Antares 1.6x 2" Barlow mod

Moonshane

I have wanted one of these for a long time as they have an almost legendary status and don't come up that often for sale in the UK. It's a good quality barlow which imparts a small magnification (a factor of 1.6x) and therefore does not affect eye relief as much as a 2x barlow and apparently just 'gets out of the way of the way'. I say apparently as it's been cloudy since I bought it. My idea was to take away the 'need' for a 17mm T4 Nagler or worse an Ethos that I cannot currently afford. Putting in my 26mm Nagler should create a 16.25mm Nagler and therefore remove the need for a 17mm (I hope).

The one thing that people don't like is that this only comes with set screws not the much lauded compression clamps (although it has to be said, not everyone likes the compression clamps either. Therefore I decided even before I bought it that I'd be replacing the metal set screws with nylon ones. I found some suitable M4 thumbscrews online and requested a couple of 'samples'. These were just right and after shortening them slightly they work a treat with no risk of set screw marks. the eye piece is held quite firmly although in a dob the focuser position is relatively safe and you could actually observe without tightening the screws anyway.

I thought I'd add this thread so others can see what I did and it may open up this excellent barlow to them.

post-5119-0-93562900-1364240245_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-61128500-1364240271_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-18317000-1364240296_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-06081900-1364240317_thumb.jp

Thats a good improvement to a very fine barlow :smiley:

I always wondered just why the Anatares 1.6x worked so well - it's just a regular 2 element barlow that is Japanese made and well coated but does not use ED glass as far as I'm aware. I reckon it must be something to do with its relatively gentle amplification not attempting to bend the light too much or something like that.

I agree John. I think (or I hope as I've not managed to use the thing yet!) it's quite unique too in it's good quality, small magnification and lack of faults. although I have not used it properly yet I did get a minute glimpse and it did seem at a glance to provide exactly what I was after through the 26mm Nagler.

Looks a good mod, hoping to get one of these myself soon but it looks like the latest version has a twist lock, I'm not sure if I would trust this with my 28mm Nirvana hanging from my newt at some of the precarious angles the focuser can get to :shocked:

Still divided over (frustrating) brass rings and chewing screws. So, Nice Mod! :)

Yes, I do regret selling mine off - IIRC, it accommodated my Baader Hyperions...

A 1.6x factor is very compatible with the [iMO] sensible eyepiece progression. ;)

Still divided over (frustrating) brass rings and chewing screws. So, Nice Mod! :)

Yes, I do regret selling mine off - IIRC, it accommodated my Baader Hyperions...

A 1.6x factor is very compatible with the [iMO] sensible eyepiece progression. ;)

that's a great point which whilst so obvious had not even occurred to me and explains why it seems to match so well.

Archived