NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

heads-up big dob on abs..

estwing

I think this is the issue sometimes. I have not gone above my 16" f4 for a number of reasons (financial, getting it in an out of the house, cooldown times) but the main one is that my 16" is great for my circumstances and provides superb views of most objects. a 20" would get little use comparatively. I can see my newly resurrected 12" f4 being my main scope at home possibly with the 16" reserved for the best nights at home and nights away. if I could leave a scope in an obs at the bottom of the garden then I'd certainly be selling a few things to buy this sort of scope.

I'd guess he assumed the buyer may have saw it (or going to see it) first hand at Kelling Heath. Kind of like the ad's in SGL8 Bring Buy Sell thread (i.e. a heads up of what is on offer at the star party).

Shame, my car and house is too small for a 20" dob.

Well spotted.

I think this is the issue sometimes. I have not gone above my 16" f4 for a number of reasons (financial, getting it in an out of the house, cooldown times) but the main one is that my 16" is great for my circumstances and provides superb views of most objects. a 20" would get little use comparatively. I can see my newly resurrected 12" f4 being my main scope at home possibly with the 16" reserved for the best nights at home and nights away. if I could leave a scope in an obs at the bottom of the garden then I'd certainly be selling a few things to buy this sort of scope.

I think you are right. I have a 20 inch and while it is nice to own, it is a bit too much effort to use most of the time. My 6 inch and 10 inch telescopes get much more time under the stars. If I could roll the clock back I would have gone for a 14 or 16 inch telescope. Having said that, the views I have had under a dark sky are wonderful.

Archived